Fan speed settings - Fan is always on?! Preassembled UM

lara-d

Posted · Fan speed settings - Fan is always on?! Preassembled UM

Ok, I've been browsing and searching through the forum for a while now.

First I assumed it was business as usual that the cooling fan on our preassembled ultimaker original was always on at full speed.

After reading that large prints were best left uncooled at first to avoid warping I tried to alter the fanspeed through the tune menu whilst printing.

The Cura setting had always been set to be slower at first, building up to 100% at 0.5 mm height.

No luck adjusting it manually.

This got me quite worried.

Just now I tried some prints where I've told Cura, the new version 14.07, to slow the fan down at first.

Still, the fan is at 100 percent (or so I think) all the time.

From the moment I turn the entire machine on, to the moment I start printing.

Am I overlooking something?

For details, the Ultimaker came preassembled about a month or two ago, has an Ulticontroller, works fine otherwise... I think.

I always use the SD to control the Ultimaker but have updated the firmware the first time I connected to the Ultimaker with a laptop.

I'm worried something is wrong as is, what should I do?

Thanks so much.

Greets, Lara D

I would flip the machine over and take a look at where the fan is connected and make sure it hasn't been plugged into the wrong header by mistake. I can't quite remember which colours the cooling fan cable uses right now, hopefully someone else will chime in.

If it is connected to the correct header I'm thinking that perhaps the driving transistor has blown.

@ |Robert|

Thanks for the reply.

I just traced back the printer fan cable to the connection on the print board, and it is indeed in the right socket.

The fan problem has been apparent ever since we received the printer.

(But it wasn't apparent as a problem because I only recently found out the fan should actually respond to changing the fan speed setting.)

Assuming the driving transistor has blown, what is the next step or go to?

Thanks!

Assuming the driving transistor has blown, what is the next step or go to?

They blow sometimes. (No pun intended)

Anyhow, they are simple BD679 transistors. They are quite common and easy to source. So if you are up to soldering, you could fix it quite quick yourself.

If you're not up to that, you bought a working machine, and it wasn't in 100% working condition when you got it. Then warranty applies.

Getting the board fixed through support could take a few weeks. So that's one route. I recommend you just replace the transistor yourself. It's near the fan connector. It's Q4. This part is one of the more common failures on UM Original. Mine has never been damaged though. They tend to fail in one of two ways: fan always on, or fan always off.

If you aren't comfortable soldering, ask around. I'm sure you have a friend or neighbor who can do this in their sleep.

Same problem here. I'll pop the bottom off and get my soldering iron. Is there a way to measure if the transistor is working?

It's almost guaranteed to be that part. It breaks a lot.

But you could look at the voltage to the base (probably the middle pin). If you have a volt meter then it should be at around .7V when fan is 100% and 0V when fan is set to 0%. If that's working then it's pretty much the transistor that's broken. Although the transistor may be killing that signal also so it's not definitive until you remove the part. With Q4 removed you should see 0V when fan is off and 5V when fan is on.

It's almost guaranteed to be that part. It breaks a lot.

But you could look at the voltage to the base (probably the middle pin). If you have a volt meter then it should be at around .7V when fan is 100% and 0V when fan is set to 0%. If that's working then it's pretty much the transistor that's broken. Although the transistor may be killing that signal also so it's not definitive until you remove the part. With Q4 removed you should see 0V when fan is off and 5V when fan is on.

I just checked with the transistor at Q4 still in place.

Indeed the middle pin gives off .7v when the fan is at 100% and 0 or nearly 0 when at 0%

The next question is, will I void my warranty if I somehow mess up soldering?

I have a few prints due the end of august and I worry that sending the printer back for repairs will take too long, so soldering it is...

Thanks for all the help so far actually!

But you are in Amsterdam, lol. Can't you just walk over to UM headquarters and swap out the board? :)

Okay - I get it - you probably have to take a train or something. Still...

Hi.

I'm working now on the same printer as Lara-d (Lara-d has left the building :) ) has used, problem is still the same.

board is changed with new one. but if printer has power fan is on.

is it better to make a new topic? no answer yet