Need Help with CURA Settings

seoswifts

Posted · Need Help with CURA Settings

Dear Friends,

I am trying to make one very simple component on my 3D printer. I am using CURA software.

Please find the stl file attached here with.

I tried to make this component a few times with littlebit different settings. The best I could reach is

with the settings: Nozzle size = 0.40mm, layer height = 0.15mm, Flow (%) = 85, print speed = 60, travel speed = 80, I could achieve the following results. These are the best results so far.

INNER SQUARE:-

- The thickness (as per drawing = 4mm) is correct in 3D print.

- The inside measurements of the inner squre is 16.80-16.90mm while it should be 17.00 mm as per drawing.

- The wall thickness of the inner square is about 1.10 mm.Actually this varies at different points on all 4 sides. This comes from 1.04 mm to 1.10mm at different points along the circumference of the inner square. As per drawing, this should be 1.00 mm.

- The outer measurement of the inner square is about 18.99 mm to 19.05 mm. As per Drawing, this should be 19.00 mm. This is acceptable.

OUTER SQUARE:-

- The inner measurement of the outer square is about 36.80 while as per drawing it should be 40.00 mm.

- The wall thickness of the outer square wall is about 1.55 to 1.65 mm while it should be 1.50 mm as per drawing.

- The outer measurement of the outer square is 39.90 - 40.10 mm at different points along the circumference of the square. It is different at different points.

Tolarence within the range of 0.10 mm is acceptable but not more than that. It seems a bit odd to me that at places the dimensions goes minus while at some places the dimensions goes plus.

From the above details, it is clear that eaither I am missing something or not doing the correct and proper settings.

Kindly advise me on this.

Your Early help will be greatly appreciated.

Shall I set layer height to be less than 0.15mm? For example shall I set it to 0.10 mm or even less? I am asking this because I have read in CURA manual that it can be set as low as 0.02 mm.

Thank you in Advanve

Tushar Patil

P.S. :- I have also made a 0.25mm nozzle but without any better results. What may I be missing???

There are at least 3 factors that make parts slightly different size than the positioning of the nozzle. These have to do with elasticity of liquid PLA and also shrinkage issues. Also over and under extrusion - especially on the first layer.

It would really nice to see your part.

Anyway, the experts here all do the same thing when they need precision:

They print a part, then measure it just like you did. Then they ADJUST THE STL to compensate. So if a wall is off by .5mm they move it by .5mm.

Then print it again WITH ALL THE SAME SETTINGS. Especially temperature and print speed.

This seems like extra work. But you will find that particular sized shapes will shrink different amounts. For example a circle will tend to pull inwards more if it is a vertical hole. But less on exterior surfaces. When you change color of PLA the adjustments all change.

With experience you will eventually be able to compensate the correct amount on the first try each time.

You may think CURA should do all the compensation for you but it's difficult as simply changing your fan setting or nozzle temperature or bed temperature will change the needed adjustments. Also changing color of PLA.

Also varies from machine to machine. No 2 machines are exactly the same. (Lots of Ultimakers come close to each-other, but never the same)