Simplify3D

conz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · Simplify3D

I been playing with wipe and coasting since today I got a lot of free time for the first time in 3 weeks. And.. well.

Coasting distance, works much better with very very very short distances like 0,04-0,20. Using like I used before distances of 0.40-0.60 creates an error on the print, when doing a TON of retracts and extruding very small amounts of material, like my little texts that are on a process that uses 0.32-0.36. There's a point that makes it under extrude the text after the 3-4layer because there are errors on the restart after a retract since some material has been lost on the wipe/retract. Specially when printing more than 1 at the same time. With just 1 it happens but ... well... depends on the material mostly.

About wipe:

If you activate Wipe nozzle and you have 'Perform retraction during wipe movement' then the distance you set for 'Wipe nozzle' it doesn't matter. It will wipe as much time as the retracts takes place. So if you retract faster the wipe distance will change. Also it will only wipe if the minimum travel for retraction kicks in, so it won't wipe always, but only when he can.

To be able to control wipe nozzle, you must deactivate the perform retraction during wipe, but that also removes the retraction. So... It's quite like juggling balls.

Ofc the amount of filament lost could be controlled with extra restart distance. But that would need a very fine tune with a big amount of print tests.

Resuming:

a) Save coasting for very drippy filaments

b) Wipe nozzle + advanced 'perform retract during wipe' cancels the distance of the wipe with as much as he needs to retract (so retraction speed + distance defines this)

c) Wipe alone without retraction can be controlled.

This it's how the retraction speed affects how much distance will the wipe do when te option 'perform retract during wipe' it's enabled.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Posted · Simplify3D

has anyone played around with the setting in S3d

Extrusion width ???

usually I have this set to Auto and with a .40 Noz it goes to .48 I have set it to manual with .35

to see what it does as

I am having a lot of problems ( just for a change??) with my first layer (again) I don't seem to get it a nice flat layer My first layer is a Mess some of it is nice flat and clean then it goes very messy thick a gloopy, and I also get better first layers on different places on the bed which leads me to think the bed is not level but I have levelled it numerous occasion.

my settings are

temp 200 (PLA)

layer height .15

1st layer height 110%

1st layer width 85% (trying this to reduce the amount of material)

1st layer speed 95% of 1500 mm/min

now I'm not stupid on a print of a wheel which is 50mm dia half of the first layer is very good the other, a Mess thick bloby so thick when the head comes back to it, it has to melt its way past. after the second layer all is fine with a good print.

any suggestions

Posted · Simplify3D

has anyone played around with the setting in S3d

Extrusion width ???

usually I have this set to Auto and with a .40 Noz it goes to .48 I have set it to manual with .35

to see what it does as

I am having a lot of problems ( just for a change??) with my first layer (again) I don't seem to get it a nice flat layer My first layer is a Mess some of it is nice flat and clean then it goes very messy thick a gloopy,  and I also get better first layers on different places on the bed which leads me to think the bed is not level but I have levelled it numerous occasion.

my settings are

temp 200 (PLA)

layer height .15

1st layer height 110%

1st layer width 85%  (trying this to reduce the amount of material)

1st layer speed 95%  of 1500 mm/min

now I'm not stupid on a print of a wheel which is 50mm dia half of the first layer is very good the other, a Mess thick bloby so thick when the head comes back to it, it has to melt its way past. after the second layer all is fine with a good print.

any suggestions

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/16881-really-tiny-little-details-with-04-nozzle-s3d-umo

Posted · Simplify3D

Hiya,

I never used the S3D bed levelling option. The machine's bed levelling works just well.

I would suggest just to use the that.

on a side note: I never use more that half the nozzle width as the layer height. By which I mean a 0.4mm nozzle I would never exceed layers of 0.2mm.

S3D's layer height I would use 100% or less. with a little extra extrusion multiplier so it squeezes more into the bed for adhesion.

hope this helps

Becky

Posted · Simplify3D

is there a way of stopping retraction on supports. reason being I am print the shape of a horse and a portion of that needs supports but when the printer gets to this point it popps little pointless blobs of supports hear there and everywhere before getting on with the job of printing the supports.

I know their a setting for minimal amount of retraction in layers but no control in supports just wondered if their was a work around. or just thinking about applying a support in cad...

any suggestion of the best way of going about that...

Are you sure that blobs ain't supports? Check the gcode always before print and use the features visual to see what are. If so, edit the resolution of the supports or remove them manually on the program supports editor.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Simplify3D

neotko

thanks for the advise, yes I think the blobs are supports, but really they are not worth having I thought of editing the code directly but how do I find it, I know they are on line number 1856 but how do I get to it, if I were editing Gcode on my Mill then the Gcode lines are numbered so that's easy..

not sure what you mean by the resolution of the supports don't know where Resolution is on the supports tab. Do you mean supports infill percentage???

I have just printed a Horse and I find myself in a bit of a position I need supports on the outer side of the profile but because I also need to use a skirt/brim it makes the supports hard to remove

5a331dd07ae98_screenshot.thumb.jpg.d6257a35c95f2713cd5cd161cfcce4f2.jpg

Any help/advise appreciated

5a331dd07ae98_screenshot.thumb.jpg.d6257a35c95f2713cd5cd161cfcce4f2.jpg

Posted · Simplify3D

The resolution for the supports, it's called 'Support Pillar resolution' and it defines how much it goes intro trouble to get every corder of the think that supports. The bigger, the less detail it's, the smaller, the more. It really depends on what you print. So play with it and check the gcode preview.

If you want the supports to cover more area use Extra inflation Distance.

Posted · Simplify3D

Hi Bob,

Have you tried this: after you load the STL file, use the "Customize supports" button all the way on the bottom of the menu bar at the right. Then use "Generate automatic supports", then use the button "remove existing supports" to manually get rid of any support pillars you don't want.

That's also one of the two places where you'll find the support resolution setting - it controls the size of the support pillars used to mark the areas that need supports. Smaller pillars give better control when placing them.

On the Supports tab of the Print settings dialog "Supports infill percentage" controls how "dense" the support structure is going to be. Just like the normal infill, but this time for the supports.

With hard to remove supports you could to try a higher value for "upper"- and "lower vertical separation layers" value but since it applies for all supports, its usually very hit and miss.

Oh, changing the Support angle can be useful at times, too.

Posted · Simplify3D

Hi All

Thanks for the input spent the afternoon drawing a support then create the STL and splitting the model

5a331dd602f0e_screenshot2.thumb.jpg.37e1ee39ccf0d01444cc28bfbca4d5a3.jpg

I offset the wall by .1 with no top layer and no bottom.

The resolution for the supports, it's called 'Support Pillar resolution' and it defines how much it goes intro trouble to get every corder of the think that supports. The bigger, the less detail it's, the smaller, the more. It really depends on what you print. So play with it and check the gcode preview

I never used this before hence not sure where it was I usually define supports as

Stephan K Describes

do we think my idea will work.

5a331dd602f0e_screenshot2.thumb.jpg.37e1ee39ccf0d01444cc28bfbca4d5a3.jpg

Posted · Simplify3D

If you're getting blobs instead of lines forming a frame then either you're under extrusion or not hot enough.

You can set the supports to print every 2 layers which makes them 0.2mm layer if you're printing with a 0.1mm layer res.

What printer are you using?

If you can attach the factory file I can have a look at it. :-)

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

I got a question whether you have the same phenomenon.

I am with different T-adjusting a Process values, lack the Retract! For better understanding here are some pictures:

5a331e03e8a64_FehlerUnretract.thumb.jpg.55506ffd936d414263b4edf6c1d02768.jpg

Advanced.thumb.JPG.44408291edabdcf64bdef7769268d559.JPG

Extruder.thumb.JPG.276d3c063e5c4d0cc108ccfe4d8f01b4.JPG

Have you noticed that too, there is a remedy.

Thank you for your answers in advance!

Edit: also detected in version 3.1

5a331e03e8a64_FehlerUnretract.thumb.jpg.55506ffd936d414263b4edf6c1d02768.jpg

Advanced.thumb.JPG.44408291edabdcf64bdef7769268d559.JPG

Extruder.thumb.JPG.276d3c063e5c4d0cc108ccfe4d8f01b4.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Simplify3D

Hiya,

I don't think it's missing.

with having two parts you will find that it will print two layers at a time per part.

as you have "Only retract when crossing open areas" then I would say go to the next layer and see if the phenomenon appears on the other part.

hope this is the case and that I have answered your question.

Becky

Version 3.1 is finally available to download!

https://www.simplify3d.com/software/release-notes/

Added support for XYZprinting da Vinci 1.1 Plus, da Vinci 1.0 Pro, and da Vinci Jr. 1.0

Updated support for latest FlashForge Dreamer firmware and new FlashForge Finder 3D printer

New support for Bits-from-Bytes (BFB) file format including automatic flowrate control

New file format export options to streamline the creation and management of multiple file formats

Added support for line numbering and checksums during USB printing for real-time error checking and improved reliability

Numerous enhancements to USB printing for da Vinci machines including real-time preview tracking and progress reporting

Added support for Wi-Fi printing to da Vinci 1.1 Plus and da Vinci 1.0 Pro

Multiple process dialog now uses the previously selected processes as the default selection

More intuitive file extension prompts when exporting toolpaths into different file formats

New firmware configuration option for using software-based flow control

Cross-section tool now allows easy selection and editing of internal model features including interior support structures

Customized profiles created using the Configuration Assistant will now be compatible with the Dual Extrusion Wizard

Improved pre-heating sequence for multiple extruders

Improved retract-while-wiping performance for complex shapes and fill patterns

Improved retractions when creating multiple ooze shields and prime pillars

Continued improvements to the slicing engine for automatically handling models with slight defects or mesh errors

Improved filtering for small movements during toolpath generation

Improved support for latest Smoothieware firmware and USB communication protocols

Post-processing scripts can now contain commas

Post-processing comments in the gcode header will now be maintained to avoid extra line breaks or invalid commands

Improved warnings for firmware or machine settings that will be overriden by your process settings

New warning to prevent closing the software when an active print is running

New licensing improvements for easier management of software installations

Added over 30 new pre-configured profiles including the 3D Systems CubePro, BCN3D Sigma, bq Prusa i3 Hephestos 2, Cocoon Create 3D Printer, CTC Bizer Dual, E3D BigBox, LulzBot TAZ 6, MendelMax 3.0 Dual, Monoprice Maker Select, PowerSpec Ultra, Raise3D N2, re:3D Gigabot 2 XL and Gigabot 3 XL, Renkforce RF2000, Kossel Pro, Robo3D R1+, Turnigy Fabrikator and Fabrikator Mini, Ultimaker 2+, Ultimaker 2 Extended+, DeltaWASP 20×40, and DeltaWASP 40×70

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · Simplify3D

Thank you for your answer @rebekah_harper!

So far I use the "tool change script" for pause function and material changes, will soon be allowed to print dual and I do not want to rework the Gcode manually every time.

I Print "Sequential printing".

5a331e0651301_SelectProcessesforPrinting.JPG.5ecf906b9a857966b5a023dd4d4eb7f9.JPG

If I would print the following, a few layers would not be printed, because no material is there.

It is also seen in the g code is missing unretract!

G1 X131.743 Y116.182 E0.5281G1 X131.577 Y116.142 F1529G92 E0G1 E-4.5000 F1800G1 X130.787 Y116.019 F3000G1 Z5.650 F3600; layer 107, Z = 5.55M104 S215 T0G91G1 Z10. F3000.G1 X50. Y50. F6000.G90M0T1; tool H0.150 W0.400; inner perimeterG1 X87.192 Y130.367 F6000G1 Z5.550 F3600G92 E0G1 X87.326 Y130.838 E0.0046 F1720G1 X87.442 Y131.315 E0.0092

Am I the only one with this error, or an incorrect setting!

5a331e0651301_SelectProcessesforPrinting.JPG.5ecf906b9a857966b5a023dd4d4eb7f9.JPG

Posted · Simplify3D

Does this code belong to a dual extrusion print?

Posted · Simplify3D

I have tweaked a lot of the settings for my UM2+Extended and thought I could share the profile.

Ultimaker 2+ Extended.fff.xml

Maybe a help and a starting point for some. Should work for non-extended as well by editing to the correct height.

Posted · Simplify3D

Does this code belong to a dual extrusion print?

No, was used to employ magnets (with M0 function).

Will soon Print Dual and then I saw the same error in gcode.

Posted · Simplify3D

Ok.

Why is there a T1 reference in the GCode.

I checked most of mine I don't have a T1 reference.

I am sure if you're using one extruded it should only contain T0 or T1.

If I'm right, might be worth checking if somewhere you've used the other extruded by mistake.

If I'm wrong could you send the GCode file :-)

Becky

Posted · Simplify3D

Better yet, the FFF file.

Posted · Simplify3D

In the normal single firmware makes no difference whether T0 or T1.

I must choose T1 otherwise Simplify3D the "Tool Change Script" is not used.

Here I present my gcode file that I have changed manually,

And the factory file.

Posted · Simplify3D

Hiya,

I've looked at both. of the files.

I think i understand.

I am struggling to find the Layer 107 you showed in the picture above.

however, what I can see is that you are attempting a dual extrusion print.

you joined two process groups together but S3D isn't seeing it as one piece but two seperate processes.

The GCode you sent me didn't show T1 heating up either. Not sure why but with ungrouping all the processes showed the temperature refference. I added a line in the tool change script for oben and got this

G1 X115.499 Y116.359 F1529

G92 E0

G1 E-4.5000 F1800

G1 X114.699 Y116.359 F3000

G1 Z5.650 F3600

; layer 107, Z = 5.55

M104 S215 T1

;gerdo

G91

G1 Z10. F3000.

G1 E-2 F1500

G1 X50. Y50. F6000.

G90

M0

T1

; tool H0.150 W0.400

; inner perimeter

G1 X115.000 Y109.350 F6000

G1 Z5.550 F3600

G92 E0

G1 X114.510 Y109.341 E0.0046 F1720

G1 X113.515 Y109.268 E0.0140

G1 X112.534 Y109.124 E0.0233

you can see that there is now a 2mm extrusion before printing.

I also noticed that under temperature primary was still T0 in Oben process but you were printing with T1.

in the script tab I added the extrusion line

G91

G1 Z10. F3000.

G1 E-2 F1500

G1 X50. Y50. F6000.

G90

M0

I think this it's where you need to be. I've not added a pause or anything.

hope this helps. I will have another look.

I have to be honest and say that I think you are using more processes than you need to but I am not sure what your printing strategy is so I may be wrong.

kind regards

Becky

Hiya,

just thought to add.

I think I can see why you would do the 4 processes. I'm guessing you want to print the bases individually followed by the tops individually.

If you have the top part as a separate part and have them place as a complete pawn you can use the dual extruder wizard.

Edited by Guest