Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
holto

Ultimaker Power Supply didn't come. Help?

Hey guys,

I'm new to Ultimakers and new to the forum. Thanks for any help you can give.

I bought an assembled Ultimaker second hand online and it came with no power supply or brick. Can someone tell me what I need to look for to replace this? I have no idea of wattage, etc.

Is there a brand of laptop PS that works?

Thanks for any help.

- Holt

PS. I have the 1.5.3 electronics.

So it CAN be higher wattage? Thanks so much for the answer by the way.

I have a 90 watt that I could run it on to just align the head and all that jazz.

I also have a 175 watt xBox AC adapter I thought about modding to go with it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help. Great forum. I'm sure I'll be driving you guys crazy the next few days. Hahaha.

Cheers,

Holt

So it CAN be higher wattage? Thanks so much for the answer by the way.

I have a 90 watt that I could run it on to just align the head and all that jazz.

I also have a 175 watt xBox AC adapter I thought about modding to go with it.

Yes, any 19V power supply with >120W will do... I got a 180W (19v) power supply brick (targus) off ebay for $20... since I don't need it anymore, I am happy to sell it to you, including a prototype hotbed assembly (only for PLA)...

Thanks for the info and the offer! I would be interested in the heated build plate if I could do ABS with it. Thanks for the offer though.

I ordered a Toshiba 120 watt on amazon with overnight for like 15 bucks. I'm also still thinking I may hack that extra 360 one for a higher power set up.

Do I need more than the 120watt if I'm going to hook up the LED strip that cam with it?

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the information.

- Holt

The LEDs don't use a lot of power, heaters and motors use up most of the power. The stock Ultimaker power supply is 120W btw, my guess of 150W was wrong.

40W for the cartridge heater, 20W-ish for each stepper, the rest is for all the other stuff

With 4 steppers, that 120W. That leaves little room with the stock 120W. Explains why you see the LEDs dim when the motors are powered and the heater is PWMed.