First print problems

Posted · First print problems

Hello,

I've gone through the bed leveling process twice on my brand new Ultimaker 2 and I'm not getting anywhere. My filament which is blue PLA directly from Ultimaker and it simply just wads up and doesn't stick to the build plate. And now my nozzle is caked with blue pla.

http://imgur.com/sWWUSg4

Any help? I'm feeling really defeated.

Thanks,

Jordan

well it looks a bit high (meaning nozzle too far from glass). Start printing and just turn the screws counter clockwise while it is printing just to see what happens.

There is a bug in Marlin that is fixed in the absolute latest cura that you can download that fixes 2 bugs related to leveling. Or you can just never level again and only play with the 3 screws.

having it wad up on the nozzle isn't a disaster but it should stick flat to the glass.

Other things to try:

heat glass to any temp from 45C to 65C. Clean the glass with a glass cleaner. put a think coat of glue stick on the glass. But the glue shouldn't be mandatory just to get the first layer to look good.

Yeah it looks like the nozzle is a little high, although hard to tell properly with the PLA everywhere. Once the nozzle is a little hot, give it a quick wipe with a wet rag or paper towel and make sure its as clean as possible. Sometimes when the pla starts to exit the nozzle it can twist up a bit too, kind of sticking to the nozzle, so as the print starts watch out for this, and if it looks like its not flowing straight down grab it with your fingers and give it a bit of direction :) Keep playing, you`ll get there in the end!

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Last night I releveled the bed and then thought my nozzle was clogged because filament wasn't coming out. Afterwards I realized that there was a chunk ground out of the PLA, so put it away for the night. This morning I trimmed the PLA and it's extruding again, but this happens...

http://imgur.com/Yrg89Of,x1zuvCJ#1

It's extruding an inch or so above the build platform and just sitting there, telling me it has 6 hours to go. On the default robot on the sd card.

Should I be using Cura and tweaking settings or does the robot gcode on the card have everything set where it should just print fine?

Hello again!

Thanks for your feedback everyone. It turns out I confused the firmware and a simple default firmware installation has corrected the issue. I'm printing the calibration piece and it's about halfway done and doing well.

Yay!!

Please don't use imgur as I don't think it will hold the picture for decades like UM will. Instead click "forum" on the top left of this page and click "upload". Later make a post and click "my media".