Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jbeale

side fans on UM2: did your mounting screws look like this?

I received my UM2 direct from ultimaker.com a few weeks ago. I decided to try my first change, using a different fan duct, https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fanduct-another-idea

which I hoped would help overhangs. To install the new duct, I first had to remove the existing sheetmetal fan bracket. I removed the bracket from the head, but before I touched the fan screws I was so surprised by their condition that I took a photo (see below).

Was yours like this? Do the UM2 factory assembly instructions actually read "torque the fan screws to destruction" ? Surely not intentional, to discourage modifications? All eight screws, around the two fans looked this way. Fortunately I was still able to remove them, but re-installing the fans on the new duct was difficult with the stripped heads- at this point I need new screws.

gallery_35761_1024_93843.jpg

I suppose I should not complain too much as the UM2 as delivered does work as-is, but I am just not used to this kind of factory assembly practice.