A visual Ultimaker troubleshooting guide

IRobertI

Posted · A visual Ultimaker troubleshooting guide

One little thing to add (because I spent 20 minutes troubleshooting before I realized this): Lines not touching can also be caused by the "Spiralize" function that you forgot to turn off again after printing a vase. Aaaaaah!

I can't see your picture but I think I know what you mean. It's the result of 'micro-oozing' during a travel. Increasing the travel speed might help (250mm/s are not a problem for an UM2, maybe you can go even higher). And make sure the nozzle is clean on the outside when you begin a print.

I've seen that "peach fuss" as well. What I usually do is to simply take a jet lighter and "brush" the surface with the flame, it makes the fuss go away nice and quick. It seems to show up more with very thin layers.

I can't see your picture but I think I know what you mean. It's the result of 'micro-oozing' during a travel. Increasing the travel speed might help (250mm/s are not a problem for an UM2, maybe you can go even higher). And make sure the nozzle is clean on the outside when you begin a print.

I don't think that is the cause, because this print was made without any traveltime. I think the slight slope en the low layerheight might cause it.

which filament do you use ? I think I had this also with Innofil at 230C.

I like this guide very much, but I tried to look up the 'stripes issue' I have but I could not find it ? see picture

I see we posted the same issue :) what material are you using? I only had it with the colorfabb PLA/PHA... and what is the layer hight of your model? I had it at the fairly standard 0.1

here's the link fyi;

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7284-furry-prints-how-to-get-rid-of-the-hear/

Hello,

I have an issue that is not in this guide. I have the formation of very fine strings of PLA, comparable with cat or dog hair on the side of my prints. These strings don't form between two walls, but on the outside of the prints.

BnvMq8d.jpg

I am using PLA filament bought on ultimakers website. Layerheight is 0.1mm. Decreasing the print temperature and cleaning the nozzle remedied the "peach fuzz" issue for now.

I've seen that "peach fuss" as well.

I've never seen it.

@dinykb - what is your layer height? I don't think I've seen that issue personally. And is it UM Original or UM2? It looks like your Z stage is inconsistent so some layers are over and some underextruded because the vertical movement doesn't match the extrusion amount properly. Maybe grease the screw? Or increase your layer height - try .2mm - again what is your layer height?

Ignace, I'm pretty sure it's a dirty nozzle (inside) causing the furry issue....

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7284-furry-prints-how-to-get-rid-of-the-hair/?p=68335

@Arjan

Yes, it is fixed for now after I cleaned my nozzle, found out there was a huge clot of black goop as solid as a rock. I wonder how filament even got through the nozzle.

Really great job there thanks for this guide :)

Great guide! I'm reading through all of it now! One suggestion that pops to mind as I'm reading is to add something about supports to the 'Overhangs' section, and mention how Cura and other slicers (meshmixer, etc.) offer support options to help deal with overhanging parts. The level of detail on settings and such for overhangs could be left to other threads or your preference. Again, thanks for the guide!

Thank you much appreciated!~!

wow, awesome put together. will read more of it soon!

Wow very usefull for newbies like me. Thanks a lot for this guide !!