Sign in to follow this  
hoguel

Veeeeery new to this - upload issues

Posted · Veeeeery new to this - upload issues

Hello. I am very new to this (owned machine one week) and have a simple question:

On YouMagin. Go to an item (like Cymon's hinged treasure chest). I hit download and move that folder to my SDHC card (exact same model as came with the unit). When I put the card into the machine, it sees the hinged-treasure-chest folder, but when I select that it says no files are found. If I download just the STL file from the folder directly onto the drive, the machine still says no files found.

So it can see the folder but not the STL file, I guess. This feels like major user error. What am I doing wrong to be able to download from the site?

Thanks.

The printer doesn't understand what an STL file is, it only understands gcode files. The first type of file describes what a model looks like and the other tells the printer what to do in order to print it out. Before you can print a model from Youmagine (or wherever else you get it from) you need to "slice" it which prepares it for print. Instead of me repeating a bunch of information I would suggest you download the manual for "cura" (which is the software that performs this operation) here:

https://www.ultimaker.com/pages/support/manuals

Ah, perfect, thank you. I was under the impression that STL files had the slice instructions. Didn't realize there was another step. I was going to get to uploading Cura, but now that will be my next step. I appreciate this!