Simplify3D print times compared to Cura

jameshs

Posted · Simplify3D print times compared to Cura

If I run s3d and cura on the same model with (I think) the same parameters s3d seems to take twice as long to print as cura - it is as predicted in the software and actually happens on the print too.

So I set layer height (.15) Speed (30mm/s) retraction etc and cura predicts and prints in just under 2 hours and S3D just under 4

I switched to S3D just to print the Fairphone phone cases because I could not get rid of the zscar - so I am using spiralise in s3d but it lets you print a solid top - whereas Cura does not (If it did it would be my go to choice :))

Just wonder if there is something obvious - I have checked my speed conversions (s3d uses mm/minute!) or am I off and it is something daft like inch/minute!) (Just to be dumb and check - I multiply my cura speeds by 60!)

Any s3d users noticed something similar or do speeds in the slicer not actually align, and I should push the s3d ones until I hit the time shown in cura? (As the quality in all other respects was fine.

I have then tuned it on the machine (Using a UM1 with ulticontroller) to go at 150% speed and this kept the quality and brought the time down, but would like to start from base point in the software to know where I am.

Do they just not compare?

Thanks

James

Simplify3D has additional settings for speed reductions such as:

- Layer - First Layer Settings - First Layer Speed

- Cooling - Speed Overrides - Allow speed reductions down to ... %

- Other - Speeds - Outline Underspeed

- Other - Bridging - Bridging speed multiplier

Maybe you have "hidden" speed reductions and that is why your prints take longer?

Another factor might be the Other - Speeds - X/Y Axis Movement Speed (Movement without printing). This is set lower in Simplify3D (I think standard settings are 50mm/s or so) than in Cura (150mm/s).

If you want to be sure about speed settings just check your model in after "Prepare to print". The program colors your parts according to the printhead speed. This should be uniform. I have never compared printing times of Cura and Simplify3D but with the same settings you should get the same results.

Thanks for that - I had a look at those and set them to match Cura - plus as it was spiralise there was very little else going on (two small bridges) and I had set the elements you discuss at 100% printing speed.

Will continue hacking!

James

So I tracked this down to an issue where S3D has a setting to control the 15 second print time to xx% - as all the layers were less than 50% it was throttling the speed!

Now that I have removed that the speeds are the same as Cura.

James

hi its is located under the cooling section of S3D on the right says cooling speeds just untick the box and it should be much faster then.

Hey guys! I'm also having trouble with s3d. Compared to other printing software, it has huge printing times. I've made some screenshots with all the settings and shared them here. Can you please have a look and tell me what's wrong?

P.S.:Could you also direct me to a website or something where I can find printing speeds that are linked to temperatures, for different materials? Because all I can find are for example: "Temp: 180-230 degrees; Speed 35-80mm/min" ...they're too general... Thank you!

Change your print speed - 80mm/MIN is sloooooooooow ( for me really really slow is 25mm/SECOND) (you can change form min to seconds in the newest version)

you also are forcing retraction on each layer?

P.S.:Could you also direct me to a website or something where I can find printing speeds that are linked to temperatures, for different materials? Because all I can find are for example: "Temp: 180-230 degrees; Speed 35-80mm/min" ...they're too general... Thank you!

Print speed depends on:

* Material

* Temperature

* Machine

So while there are general guidelines. It also depends a lot on the machine. Which means you'll have to find info from someone with the same machine, or, find it out yourself by experimenting.