Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
BasVanDeursen

test report, testing different feeder wheel grip patterns

Hi everybody,

Several people asked me to publish research reports on the forum. Up until now I shared these reports through email. The advantage of this was that I had direct contact with the people who would read it. This meant that I received elaborate comments from almost all of them. Furthermore it was easy to keep track of who had read the report, so in case there would be a mistake in the report I could contact all of them personally.

However, because people requested it, I will experiment with putting the reports online. Attached to this post is a report I wrote earlier about tests with different grip patterns on feeder wheels.

Cheers!

-Bas

20150506_182048.thumb.jpg.88d155d2403838230fd514fde8a553ef.jpg

Interesting report. In my year-long experience with a TrinityLabs hobbed wheel, it did occasionally clog as a result of some other issue, but when it didn't unclog on its own, it was quite easy to clean out (assuming easy access).

I've just started using a MK8 hobbed wheel on my UM2, and so far it seems to get a better grip on the filament with fewer skips than the original knurled wheel. Having smaller effective diameter, it should give a bit better extrusion resolution - I'm still calibrating, but using e-steps around 340 for now.

Awesome Bas. In my tests:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4222-pulling-force-of-um-extruder/?p=34887

The UM2 feeder motor slips somewhere around 4.5 to 5.7kg or (multiplying by 9.81 m/s/s) 44 to 56 Newtons when using the default current (I believe 1.25A limited) although the motor can exert more force when spinning faster before the current limiting feature allows it to slip back.