Monthly Print Challenge (MPC) August

aaronalai

Posted · Monthly Print Challenge (MPC) August

I assume you've edited the actual scad-file? If not I don't see how it could happen. I just finished a quick test print where I simply scaled the original file down (just to see what would happen), and there's no way this thing is going to move.

Nope, just scaled down in Cura..

I did play with temperature and retraction settings. But that is all you will get from my secret recipe! ;)

The proof is right here on my desk..

Nope, just scaled down in Cura..

I did play with temperature and retraction settings. But that is all you will get from my secret recipe! ;)

The proof is right here on my desk..

Someone gave you the key to the R&D department? ;)..

Sigh... After about 20 attempts I give up.

I tried everything that my (stil limited) printing knowledgebase of a brain contains but I can't prevent the fusing of the gears with the walls.

ohh come on guys! We still have a few weeks to go until the week is over!

Maybe a monthly challenge is long, and we can do a 2 week challenge?

Just to raise the ambition level...

I "signed", sliced and printed one "standard sized" gear-bearing in a bit longer than one hour and... give it to a friend. You have to believe me until I'll make another one, smaller, nicer and in shorter time :)

And I did it with one of

, not an UM ;)

@IRobertI - in openScad you can convert the code to a visual part using either F5 or F6 key. One is much faster than the other - sometimes 1000X faster. But to export to STL you have to do the slow one. Plus the fast one is buggy - but still very very useful in tweaking the code/parameters. Also the fast one lets you do things like make the subtraction visible as a part in another color.

Blarp, my latest attempt:

gbqNGbU.jpg

I really like Sander's print; the first one to get a reasonably small size printed really sets the bar in this month's competition. I'm not deterred yet, I've still got several ideas I'm going to try out that include different filaments, for example will shrinking ABS plastic work better here? I have some really bad ABS that shrinks like crazy, could be useful.

Alright a much better job, in Cura with good ABS; I didn't have to rely on any shrinkage. I'm going to try and go even smaller.

4vKLC3I.jpg

Woohw Aaron!

its spinning! :)

Did you use the original file? or some tinkering in Cad?

I'm only down to 30mm with the standard file :(......

arrrrgh. Now I have to make another attempt!!

But how comes yours is hollow?

Are we limited to the original design so our tools are within Cura or can we also hack the model?

In that case a whole new challenge starts with different skill-sets.

Or did you disable solid top and bottom?

clever Aaron.. but this is not over :ph34r:

Hey guys, to answer some questions:

I'm using the standard file, except for the text. I used the thingiverse customizer to remove the text on the outside of the print.

Hmm, regarding the tools we are limited to; I would like to keep this thread democratic, but if no one has any objections, I think your imagination should be the limiting factor. If people think you are pulling cheap moves then they will overlook you when voting.

Yup, I disabled solid top and bottom in Cura with zero infill. The rationale behind this was to keep the nozzle from heating up surrounding plastic by just printing where I needed. Whether or not this helped I'm not really sure, this was a strategy I developed while printing out of PLA but I'm not sure how much it helped with ABS.

Here are some of my print settings, I encourage people to evolve these or do something completely different. I hesitate a little to give some of the print settings away, not because of the competition it could generate, but because it could bias individual's thinking and prevent them from developing novel printing schemes. That being said, it seems like some tips could help people get off the ground.

- At first I was printing really slow and cold, but I always forget how well the printer works at moderate to quick speeds. I printed the gear at 20mm/s.

- To quickly narrow down my printing temps for new plastics or different applications, I use "Move Material" and set the material to ABS regardless of the material type. As the nozzle heats up I slowly increase the speed at which I can feed material through the nozzle. By keeping an eye on the speed and noting skipping of the feeder motor, I can narrow my printing temp range to about 10C of what I want or at least give myself a good place to start experimenting.

- I printed the layers thick, I figured this would help keep the temps down (and thus reduce the gears from sticking to each other) by speeding up the print.

- I think the first layer is pretty important on this print. If the first layer squishes the plastic out to the sides too much the gears will fuse together. I made a large skirt and adjusted the build plate while the skirt was printing so I got the first layer to barely stick.

Hi all...

Here is my attempt.

• Official Print Submission = "Submission"

sorry, finally read the regulation :)

WP 001097

The smallest working one is 20mm.It took a few prints ;) but this one finally works.

I've used the standard stl, I personally think it's a printing challenge and no engineering or redesigning challenge.

And used a standard 0.4 nozzle.

Might give it try with a 0.2 nozzle though... But that wouldnt be fair for the UM2 printers :p

edit.. Glad its note a film making challenge ;)...

Meh, it doesn't quite work as it should. It spins maybe half a rotation and then the gears starts going out of alignment, so it's not a proper success. It's 15mm in diameter.

gears

Meh, it doesn't quite work as it should. It spins maybe half a rotation and then the gears starts going out of alignment, so it's not a proper success. It's 15mm in diameter.

Same thing overhere :(

My first attempt was stuck. Then I got really busy printing other things, and now I won't be able to print it before the 1st :(

Hey guys, looks like there aren't really any official submissions. Thanks for the participation regardless :grin:! It appears that the MPC isn't really taking off though so this will be the last one. It was fun, and actually really challenging; that mini gear was a tough nut to crack. Hope to see your future prints in Post Your Latest Print!

I wanted to have another go but I managed to "misplace" my feeder spring, so it looks like I won't be printing anything anytime soon :/

Would love some details on the results of for example Sander and 3dcase.

Hey guys, looks like there aren't really any official submissions. Thanks for the participation regardless :grin:! It appears that the MPC isn't really taking off though so this will be the last one. It was fun, and actually really challenging; that mini gear was a tough nut to crack. Hope to see your future prints in Post Your Latest Print!

Ho ho aaron,

I'm bad with regulations :eek: , but mine was official :-P .

Perhaps this challenge was a little hard, even to get the big size rolling?

I Could not match-up with the small size of Sander's submission though, Perhaps because of some Ice-bucket challenge :p.

So I think the winner is Sander, ( if he did not use the R&D department? ;) ).

It's a shame it's the last one :(. but thanks for starting it!!!!.

Although I do hope you come up with another one!

damm i just found out about this. i'll have a go tomorrow :p i would like to say a 2 week version is probably better :)

damm i just found out about this. i'll have a go tomorrow :p i would like to say a 2 week version is probably better :)

Hi Martijn,

you might see aaron in NewYork. Please remember to talk him into organizing a next MPC!!!

A couple of post earlier he more a less resigned :eek:

I feel really guilty for not participating but I spent the whole month printing more important projects (so many birthdays...).

I'd love to see the MPC continue, even if participation could be better...

Anyway, I didn't attempt this but I guess that the spiralize feature could be crazy useful for a very small set of gears. Is that your secret, Sander?