Ooze shield at single head prints - strange...

drayson

Posted · Ooze shield at single head prints - strange...

Today I tried to use the ooze shiled function in cura for a single-head print.

Cura does it but strangely follows the whole contour of the part - means not just applying a straigt contour around at max perimeter, no, it really applies something like a "skin"...

Has anybody tried this before? Experience?

Or is it a bug???

without ooze shield feature

part1

with ooze shield feature

part3

part2

Have not tried it with a single print yet.

but with dual extruder it creates a skin or cocon indeed, with a vase, even top en inside...

The oozeshield itself helps... hard to watch what is happening though.

Unpacking is half the fun;)

WP 000819

I think the ooze shield is very close to the object (2mm). I had a case where ooze shield and object were kind of merged and the object was partially destroyed. Thus, I extended the distance in the CuraEngine to 5mm and will check if it helps.

Another issue I had with the very close ooze shield is insufficient cooling of the object.

However, I have the ooze shield activated all the time, even for single extrusion prints but with them it is never printed. I wonder how you drayson managed to have the ooze shield with a single extrusion print. Have you acitvated some support on the second extruder?

Nope, but I was also astonished, but I think found it out...

my setup: Cura 14.07

- checked the oozing-box

- support is on first extruder and everywhere

- bed adhesion is brim.

- second extruder is not used.

In layer view it is applied and acc. to my gcode simu it should be printed too. But this is only when using support anywhere - switching this off, it disappears...

When thinking of an ooze shield I expected something like a wall around the object based on the projection, not a cocoon :smile:

On the other hand it is clear that it is nearby the object to avoid oozing onto it.

b.t.w. - how have you changed the spacing from 3 to 5mm ?

Hi,

I'm also trying to use an ooze for a single extruder print with my um2+. But cura seems to doesn't support it anymore. So is there any possibility?

it is called 'draft shield' for a single extruder

thanks a lot!