Makerfaire NYC 2014!!

gr5

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Makerfaire NYC 2014!!

Ah, ok, that looks quite small but official.

So, yes, heated-bed-upgrade-kit. Finally. But not unexpected.

And the UM Original+, not a huge fan of the name they picked, but I am a fan of the machine. It's pretty much all the glory and hack-ability of the UM Original combined with all the nice improvements of the UM2. It also nicely shows that we are still dedicated to that machine, and won't drop support for the original as some might feared. It also has all the things needed to be CE Certified. (except that you cannot really do this on a kit, as you have no control on the assembly. So it's only really certified if we build it. Still, it's nice to know that it's safe, and even safer then before)

So here's the news so far:

1) Ultimaker USA is open and has been secretly making Um2's in USa for months now and doing service including repairs, parts shipping and so on. Shipping is cheaper now for people in USA because the machines.

2) Ultimaker heated bed kit was announced officially. This involves adding a small circuit board and completely replacing the bed and z motor and z screw and includes a bigger power supply. Pricing/delivery information to be published Saturday morning early. The new web page will be uploaded 10pm usa east coast time Friday night and the website cache restarted 7am Saturday morning netherlands time.

Other pricing and "freebies" to be announced Saturday.

3) Ultimaker + kit is now for sale. It has the UM2 electronics and many safety like features to make it CE compliant as daid said above. It has the new heated bed. Pricing/availability to be announced Saturday.

4) There's another announcement I believe for Saturday.

edited: added #3 above.

Is dual extrusion from the UM Original still compatible with the UM+?

It also nicely shows that we are still dedicated to that machine, and won't drop support for the original as some might feared.

The possiblity to drop the original machine was never a real one since a well-known employee of Ultimaker wrote here in the forum that they would have to take it out of his cold hands... :D

Is dual extrusion from the UM Original still compatible with the UM+?

I asked that same question last night, and the answer is yes!

The answer here seems to be no:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7432-is-this-cura-video-using-dual-extrusion-kit/

Basically you could not have the headed bed and the 2 nozzle heating up. You would have a power supply issue.

new wonders every day in the world of ultimaker :D

on the one hand they say it is possible, like they said to Jerry Blade.

on the other daid said its not possible like pm_dude found out.

So Ultimaker: Whos wrong? ;)

both are right. You can use the kit but not with the heated bed at the same time :D

yeah i think so... :D

not the best idea they had :D:D

Interesting - I will ask more questions with the R&D folks at the Maker Faire tomorrow. There has to be a solution...

So in another thread Daid mentioned that he is being pulled from Cura to work on dual extrusion research. It sounds like this is going to take a higher priority now.

Dual extrusion on the UMO is tricky and "experimental". For example it's hard to get the 2 heads level - you have to file down the peek part a bit and/or warp the wood and aluminium plates by tightening the 4 screws different amounts. The wood can crack/split/break.

However UM is taking this seriously I think.

So in another thread Daid mentioned that he is being pulled from Cura to work on dual extrusion research. It sounds like this is going to take a higher priority now.

Dual extrusion on the UMO is tricky and "experimental". For example it's hard to get the 2 heads level - you have to file down the peek part a bit and/or warp the wood and aluminium plates by tightening the 4 screws different amounts. The wood can crack/split/break.

However UM is taking this seriously I think.

Are we talking about the same dual extrusion kit for the UMO? I admit it needs a bit of tinkering but I didn't had to use tools for changing parts. Well, the spacers for two of the four screws didn't had the right length, so one tool was needed: the UMO.

Also, I thought I remembered hearing last night that the UMO upgrade (with the heated bed, new z-stage, and hot end fan enclosure) includes a new PSU, and that some basic wire stripping / soldering may be required to piggyback/power the new mini heater electronics board via the UM electronics.

This would only potentially work on an upgraded UMO since it has the two separate electronics boards, but couldn't you, in theory, use the new PSU and dedicate it to the heater board and leave the original PSU connected to the UMO electronics? You would have to plug in two PSUs but then wouldn't have a wattage issue.

Note: I haven't seen the actual kit - last night's demo was using the UMO+ with the UM2 electronics, so all of this is speculation on my part.

Per Daid in the other thread mentioned above:

A UMO & HeatedBedKit & DualKit can be done. Then you use 2 power supplies, the new one for the heated bed, and the old one for the normal heaters+electronics. This is actually

supported just fine.

Are there more Infos about the z stage upgrade? As I already have a heated bed and dual I am mainly interested in this one. Also is it true that the heated bed would not work with 1.5.3 electronics ?

Great announcements but where are the Infos?

The z-stage upgrade looks to be the exact same z-stage as on the UM2, complete with glass print surface, metal base, new threaded rod, and three point leveling system. I believe a more formal announcement will come later today or tomorrow for sure. This information is coming from the group of us who were present at the informal announcement at the Shapeways factory last night :)

Thanks for the infos. Have fun (jealous...jealous....jealous). Will be interesting what kind of upgrades will be available. One big kit or separate smaller ones (my preference)....

Was there any pink unicorn?

With Daid on Dual Extrusion for now and no Beta version out yet I don't expect much new on that side but it would be nice :)

With Daid on Dual Extrusion for now and no Beta version out yet I don't expect much new on that side but it would be nice :)

Seems like we have to print another Daid...no better... more Daids. Can´t wait for the pink unicorn and the banishing of the Z-seam. Working dual extrusion is also nice, with a solvable material AWESOME...

I believe it is one upgrade kit since the heated bed and z-stage would be difficult (if not impossible) to separate as they basically reuse much of the solution on the UM2. The fan housing is really just a hood that replaces the existing snap-together-ready-to-melt-as-soon-as-you-print-anything-hotter-than-PLA solution. In theory, they could sell that one part all by itself.

We did see some slides with pink unicorns... but nothing complete :)

If you upgrade a UM Original then you use the old electronics but add a small board for temp probe and relay. If you buy a UMO+ then you get the new electronic board. Prices and details announced Saturday very early (like 1am New York time).