Makerfaire NYC 2014!!

gr5

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Makerfaire NYC 2014!!

Great to see what happened - whish I've been there too... Next year maybe...

Part four:

2nd video by barnacules from MakerFaire with a lot of Ultimaker stuff.

at 10:20 in the video, I noticed this UM2 is setup like the new UM2 I just got, in that the steel collar isn't tightened all the way down. This is apparent becasue the hot end is sticking out the bottom more, as well as there is not much of a gap between the teflon and steel collar.

Is this the intended configuration? Are you not required to tighten the collar to the brass block all the way?

The whole purpose of the collar/nut is to be able to adjust the nozzle height for if you have dual extrusion. Since that isn't working yet it shouldn't matter. But it does matter.

The teflon isolator gets deformed easily and the "tighter" the collar, the tighter the spring above the isolator. So you want it very "loose" (it's still quite tight on the spring). But you want at least a tiny gap because if it's too loose then inside the nozzle - above the nozzle but below the isolator you can get a gap where plastic can leak into the gap. You don't want that.

So it doesn't matter much but UM recommends 1mm gap. I go for maybe .5mm gap between collar/nut and isolator.

gallery_423_7_225254.jpg

I got a new nozzle from the spare parts store and noticed it "seems" thinner and longer than the one I have currently installed and the one you show on your picture. I'll see if its actually the case or not later tonight.

That fan shroud hides most of the nozzle tip. It appears longer when you remove the fan shroud.

Guess I'll go loosen my teflon isolators a little and see how they print. If all is well I'll keep them loose. The logic is sound in that lighter spring tension would ease the deformation of the teflon, I was just worried that retraction might start to fight the softer spring and cause problems...

I got a new nozzle from the spare parts store and noticed it "seems" thinner and longer than the one I have currently installed and the one you show on your picture. I'll see if its actually the case or not later tonight.

Nevermind that. They look pretty much the same