Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jerry-blade

Nuts Fell Out - solved

When moving my Ultimaker Original from its build location to its permanent location, two bolts fell out as I lifted it. I have no idea where they came from, and inspecting the machine, I cannot for the life of me figure out where they fell out of. I am 99% sure they are not extra bolts as I was extremely careful to not have extra parts rattling inside the unit. I have done several test prints in that location so I am guessing the machine settled and these came loose and fell out. I am going to do another much more detailed inspection, but does anyone have a suggestion where these bolts may have come out from? I don't like the idea of my unit being short two bolts... that is, to me, a recipe for disaster down the road...

Otherwise, the unit is printing well...

Thanks!

-Jerry

Like Gr5 said, it could be from everywhere! The thing is that bolts dropped out, no nuts. I'd say check the printhead where the thermosensor board is attached. There's bolts without nuts there(but with the nylon spacer units)

The nuts that drop out of my machine regularly are the XY slider block nuts.

There, or the nuts on the end caps of the X/Y rods (8mm rods) which are a bitch to put back in. And I usually replace them with lock-nuts.

My printer wasn't doing so well when I printed that (a couple of years ago) so I just figured it was due to my printer. I fixed it by heating up a nut and pressing it into the cavity. Worked fine after that :)

That is what I wanted to say.

Titus should know.. that was one of Joris' tips at the previous Ulti-evening ;)

That is what I wanted to say.

Titus should know.. that was one of Joris' tips at the previous Ulti-evening ;)

I know Sander, I've tried, and still it hasn't worked yet, I burned my fingers instead :p

There, or the nuts on the end caps of the X/Y rods (8mm rods) which are a bitch to put back in. And I usually replace them with lock-nuts.

This was the culprit - After inspecting them, I noticed several were loose... I am printing some replacement inside/outside endcaps... since replacing the nuts is going to be a royal PITA... having the nuts locked in on the inside caps, and having a way to calibrate the outside caps with a metal-on-metal point of contact (after rounding the bolts with a dremel) should reduce potential friction quite a bit.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:99113

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:54075

Thanks for giving me some places to look!

-Jerry