Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ericwilsonart

Scale issues exporting STL from maya importing into cura

I am using Maya to scale the model, then I export (in mm) as an .STL, then I import into Cura and the scaling is all gone. It is about 4.5 times smaller than the size it was scaled to in Maya. The reason I am scaling it in Maya is because the figure is cut up into many different pieces that need to fit back together post print.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas how to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Hi, I am using inventor to make my do my modelling and get a similar problem but mine is always out by a factor of 10 so its not that hard to fix just shift 1 decimal place in Cura and all the rest change as well. if you are suffering from a similar problem as they are both Autodesk programs a temporary solution until we get a firm answer is to see whether its out by the same factor each time. if so just change one dimension in Cura and all will change you would have to do this for each bed load of course.

I don't know if it's of any convenience now due to software updates since then, I haven't had any issues with maya in my initial tests. Just like in any VFX situation in maya, check your measurements, not only in export, but in your preferences/settings menu. If you are set to inches or centimeters (or anything else other than millimeters) you will get scale issues. Also for safety sake, delete your object history and freeze transforms before export. This should give you perfect scale when exporting your STL for cura.

It is also a problem when getting orders from 3DHubs,

sometimes the STL is so small the price calculated is a lot less then it should be,

I can scale it in Cura, but sometimes I have to cancel an order because of this size difference :(

sometimes it is a wrong size setup in the CAD program they use, and some CAD programs are very bad at exporting to STL.