Full Graphic Smart Controller (ebay) + Ultimaker board fix

Posted · Full Graphic Smart Controller (ebay) + Ultimaker board fix

Today I recieved my Full Graphic Smart Controller, a little ahead of schedule. I could not resist fiddling with it, and sure enough, I had exactly the same problems as in the first post. Successive beeps or a buzz, depending on exact cable placement, and nothing else. I used a small file to remove the nubs and reversed the plugs on the controller. It seemed to power up, but showed no information, but everything as expected as the firmware had not been loaded yet.

The very helpful post from Amadee and his custom firmware made loading the firmware a breeze. It was almost too easy :) I tend to get suspicious when that happens, and I am certainly going to struggle more when I update the Ultimaker belts or heatbed. A quick firmware flash via Cura and hey presto, a neat working controller with a lovely Ultimaker bot for a splash screen. Thanks everyone, for making life so easy!

Oh, and a little tip for people doing the same thing: if you dislike scratches or dings, tape up the corners and edges of the controller before you go to work. It gets easily scratched.

Now, onto making a neat enclosure!

• Replies 86
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realised something. My Arduino and thus my Smart Controller does not seem to have power without being connected to the computer via USB. That rather defeats the purpose :D

Some quick research indicates this is not supposed to happen. Onto the next problem!

It depends on your Ultimaker board version...

• 1.5.3: Out of luck
    • 1.5.4: you can solder a bridge on the board to re-route the power to the arduino
    • 1.5.7 / 1.5.7: it should be stand-alone

I have an old 1.5.3, and I just connect the USB to a cell phone 'charger' to provide the 5V. (Will work as well with 1.5.4)

BTW, I'll release a new firmware version tomorrow with a couple of small changes...

He could get a 5v voltage regulator that can take 19 V input. Not sure what the power requirements are, but that is how I power my bread boards. You can find stuff on eBay for a few dollars or buy the parts and make your own.

It depends on your Ultimaker board version...

• 1.5.3: Out of luck

• 1.5.4: you can solder a bridge on the board to re-route the power to the arduino

• 1.5.7 / 1.5.7: it should be stand-alone

I have an old 1.5.3, and I just connect the USB to a cell phone 'charger' to provide the 5V. (Will work as well with 1.5.4)

BTW, I'll release a new firmware version tomorrow with a couple of small changes...

Ah, the page I found suggested it meant a problem in any case, but this sounds a bit better. I think the electronics are 1.5.4. so reworking them would be an option. The phone charger solution is a good idea too, though.

It seems I have found the appropriate page here.

It seems I have found the appropriate page here.

Yes, that's the right page! It is quite easy to do. It does not work on 1.5.3 because there is not enough power, but works fine in 1.5.4.

And phone charger is an easy workaround ;)

I have just released the latest UMO official firmware with the Full Graphic Smart Controller (FGSC) support!

Downloaded and uploaded, testing pending. Again, thanks!

I was happy with the http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:213852 I printed some time ago, but due to some reorg in my 'lab', I could not place it properly anymore, so I eventually made a quick and dirty holder.

FGSC HolderFGSC HolderFGSC Holder

If case you are interested, it is on https://www.youmagine.com/designs/stand-holder-for-the-full-graphic-smart-controller...

<p>

I have just released the latest UMO official firmware with the Full Graphic Smart Controller (FGSC) support!

• [*]Sources are :arrow:
    https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Marlin/releases/tag/14.12-FGSC

Compared to the release I shared in #12:

• [*]You now have the sources ;)[*]Splash screen shows actual version, not an hardcoded one[*]The 'Version' menu (in Control) shows the version details just like on the UltiController[*]The fan speed display is fixed (was showing 1% when fan was off..)

What options did you compile with (e.g. heated bed etc.)?

What options did you compile with (e.g. heated bed etc.)?

It is exactly the same as the official UMO ones (which means choice of Single/Dual extruder version and serial speed, but nothing else)

I can also generate for UMO with Official HBK if there is interest. The UMO+ is sold with the UtliController, so I guess interest is limited...

For UMO with custom HB, it really depends on the sensor used, so i cannot make a generic one, just download the sources and compile (Or I can try compile a custom one on request..)

(I start to have a couple of UMO firmware tweaks, so I am thinking of an online UMO firmware generator :rolleyes: )

(I start to have a couple of UMO firmware tweaks, so I am thinking of an online UMO firmware generator :rolleyes: )

For the online generator, did you have something in mind significantly different from Ginge's Marlin Builder? If not, you could just pull the source and add graphic controller support, instead of starting from scratch.

Yes, something in that area, but with a more limited set of options...

I'll see, but I have a couple of other things on my plate right now ;)

Hey amedee. I would be eternally grateful if you could compile a version for umo with dual extruded and official heated bed kit! I really want to get mine working, and it's going to take me a looong time to figure out how to compile on my own. Also have a problem accessing GitHub in China. Think there is any way you could help me out?

Here it is... : (removed, see below)

So it it Official UMO + HBK + Dual firmware where I merged the Full Graphic Smart Controller code.

It is a quick compile to help you, so no github or whatever for now -- Just the firmware ;)

** Edit ** File removed, everything is now on GitHub -- See http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7062-full-graphic-smart-controller-ebay-ultimaker-board-fix/?p=86023

It is exactly the same as the official UMO ones (which means choice of Single/Dual extruder version and serial speed, but nothing else)

I can also generate for UMO with Official HBK if there is interest. The UMO+ is sold with the UtliController, so I guess interest is limited...

For UMO with custom HB, it really depends on the sensor used, so i cannot make a generic one, just download the sources and compile (Or I can try compile a custom one on request..)

I will have interest in HBK, but my graphical display hasn't arrived yet.

Many thanks for that amedee! I'll try it out when I get back.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and the great work you are doing.

Thanks,

As it looks like there is some demand for the UMO with HBK, I merged the FGSC code to the HBK branch and pushed on GitHub.

• [*]Sources :arrow:
    https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Marlin/tree/Marlin_UM_HeatedBedUpgrade_FGSC

[*]Firmware :arrow: https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Marlin/releases/tag/14.12-HBK-FGSC

(Just as for the plain UMO files, this is the exact same firmware as the one distributed by UM, with support for the FGSC)

Edit: for latest version see post #58

Just out of interest, this new merged hex is the same as the Dropbox one? I Downloaded that one this morning before I left.

Short answer: Yes.

The new GitHub one is the 'complete' package for the UMO-HBK, and contains a.o. the Dual Extrusion firmware, which is the same as the DropBox one (I deleted that one in the meantime to avoid confusion)

Great thanks, I'll stick with the Dropbox one then.

@Amedee, is there any way to reverse the action of the knob? On my unit, turning the knob clockwise decreases feed rate and advances down in menus, which seems the opposite of what the graphical display did.

Also, when browsing file names the display update rate is wicked slow. Maybe that is just cause the Arduino doesn't have the spare power to update all those pixels in a timely manner or maybe my graphical display isn't good.

So far feeling a little less than impressed overall. The graphical main view is nice, but in the menus, the slow update speed kills the advantage of having more lines. I can see why UM didn't hop on switching the Ulticontroller to a graphical version.

I have neither of these problems with this software. Turning the knob clockwise increases feedrate or advances menus. The refresh rate is not that of a desktop computer, but is quick enough to work well in all but the most unrealistic scenarios. If you trash the knob left and right like no tomorrow you see the selection jump all over the place, but when you pace yourself you see the selection tracks pretty neatly.

This is with the UMO HBK version, if it makes any difference.

It seems like the refresh rate only really bogs down in the file browser. Maybe it is related to the number of files or long names I have on the SD card.

It seems like the refresh rate only really bogs down in the file browser. Maybe it is related to the number of files or long names I have on the SD card.

I must admit I don't have a memory card handy, so I cannot say anything useful about that or test it.