General tips for improving print quality?

dylanweber

Posted · General tips for improving print quality?

I printed the regular demo robot, and here are my results:

1c88Lzh.jpga8Uxt6F.jpg

After many painful hours of troubleshooting, I was finally able to get it to print a decent first few layers, but as you can see, it went downhill from there. Any tips you can give me?

The biggest issue here is that the print has shifted. Assuming it didn't come loose from the bed, then the problem is down to the motor skipping steps and/or pulleys shifting. In particular it looks like there is a shift in the y-axis direction, so check the pulleys and belts for that.

Double-check that all the pulley set screws are tight. It's a good idea to use a permanent marker to make a mark on the pulley and axis (or motor shaft) adjacent to it, so that you can tell if the pulley ever slips.

Also, power the printer off, and move the head by hand. It should move with just fingertip pressure on each sliding block in the pair. Compare how x and y move. See if there are any tight spots. If it's hard to move, try loosening the end caps over the axes.

Also grab the printhead and move it back and forth quickly, first in one axis, then the other. Look at the short belts as they reverse direction, and look for any signs of twisting. They should run smoothly along the same path in both directions, and if you squint at them, you shouldn't really be able to tell that they're moving (apart from any writing on the belts moving). If they are twisting that could be because the pulleys aren't in a line with one another, or because the belt is catching on the frame of the printer. Either can add resistance, and cause the motors to skips steps occasionally, causing the print to gradually shift layer-by-layer.

Finally don't forget to lubricate the axes and cross-rods with some light oil, like sewing machine oil.

It's almost certainly slipping pulleys. Most likely the short 2 on the Y belt (the one on the motor and the other one on the short belt).

Your UM Original probably came with a spare set of set screws. The ones that come inside the pulleys are black. The spares are shiny metal covered. Those shiny ones are better. I haven't used my "better" ones yet but still - consider using those for your short belt screws at least.

It's almost certainly slipping pulleys. Most likely the short 2 on the Y belt (the one on the motor and the other one on the short belt).

Your UM Original probably came with a spare set of set screws. The ones that come inside the pulleys are black. The spares are shiny metal covered. Those shiny ones are better. I haven't used my "better" ones yet but still - consider using those for your short belt screws at least.

After a few hours of tinkering and troubleshooting, I've finally got a nice product:

juYdA8K.jpg

Some screws were loose and they were very difficult to get to. I'll stick to the ones in there right now unless needed, unlike now.

Wow, you could almost call that a freakshow. My UM2 arrived yesterday and I am lucky till now, my Robot printed fairly well.

I've fixed my printer in terms stopping plastic leakage and replacing pulley screws. Is there any way I can fine tune my printer to make these print better? Overhang seems to kill the quality, and I would think an Ultimaker is expected to print a model that came with it's own software, no?

fj1RntX.png

ZoS5dg7.png

That seems like a nice looking keyboard. What is that?

Corsair Vengeance K70. I recommend Cherry MX Blue switches

Here can be found photos and details on getting best possible robot - this was on UM Original but if someone else is reading this, UM2 can print just as well:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6764-printed-test-robot-has-erratic-edges/

Here can be found photos and details on getting best possible robot - this was on UM Original but if someone else is reading this, UM2 can print just as well:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6764-printed-test-robot-has-erratic-edges/

I tried copying every setting possible, including retraction speed, shell thickness, etc.

Here is my result, something that is a lot more pleasing than my previous ones:

3PXgX3F.jpg

Instead of printing two whole robots, I just printed 1 robot and had another solid block be the "go to" for continuing on the same layer. It took me some playing around, but I found out that you can place multiple models into Cura, and export them as an STL and reimport them to have everything build at once, synchronizing the layers.

RAEOquQ.png

You can see more detailed images of the print here: https://imgur.com/Yo7wTaa,JhCdoYh,hLUJFVu,2KeSK6n,tpK92DX,PUAADBI,1zeHsvT,6kLq4Qf,3PXgX3F,jZReNsZ

Any more tips on improving? The "ears" of the robot still don't look completely pleasing and there is still some messes inside the handle at the top. Also, the top of the 40mm tall block I printed didn't close completely, probably fixable by adding more top thickness. Edges of the same block aren't completely sharp, but instead slightly curved before the turn and bumpy in nature. Walls are smooth.

You may try to improve the alignment of the lead screw with the z motor axis. Then the regular horizontal pattern will disappear. You may have to block the z nut in the right position.

You may try to improve the alignment of the lead screw with the z motor axis. Then the regular horizontal pattern will disappear. You may have to block the z nut in the right position.

Can you please elaborate or give some reference information?

Can you please elaborate or give some reference information?

This post might help you.

edit: and this one.

In Cura you can specify to print all items at once (don't need to export to STL and import again).

It's found in the Tools Menu

And you probably don't need such a big tower is usually go with a 5mm cylinder (to not waste too much material)