Top thickness not the same as bottom thickness

Posted · Top thickness not the same as bottom thickness

Hi there,

I have searched the forums but not found specifically what I am looking for.

I am having trouble with my UM2 not printing the same top thickness the same as the bottom thickness.

I have the settings with PLA set as follows:

-Layer height =0.1

-Shell thickness = 1.2

-Bottom/top thickness = 0.6

-Fill density = 20

It only seems to do one 0.1mm run for the top surface leaving a poor surface finish on top.

I am very new to this so please excuse me if there is any obvious issues.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

It should do 6 layers. Strange. Can you post the STL file somewhere?

also maybe post a photo. Did you check Cura layer view? Did that also show only one layer?

Hi there,

Ahh that layer view is a handy tip, thanks. It showers virtually no layer on the top surface.

Here is a link to the .stl file and also a screen shot of the layer view. It is a solid part.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sungice2yl1iohi/AAC_z3osnYEfqAxjsdzZRE_Ca?dl=0

Thanks for your help.

So the layer view only shows the top 4 or so internal layers so you have to slide down on that layer view control. I sliced your part and got the same 144 layers but when I slide the layer view down all the top surfaces seem to have 6 layers (I had to check many "top" surfaces.

Once you click on the layer slider once you can also use Shift+Up arrow or down arrow.

Maybe you should post a photo of the final print?

To post a pic, go to "galleray" link top left corner of this page, then click "upload" blue button then after uploading edit or start a new post and click "my media" next to the smile icon.

Ok so maybe I should look at increasing my bottom top thickness? Maybe because of the curve being rather horizontal in the lower stages and the 0.6 thickness is only measured in the Z direction it's leaving little layer height as it moves across/up the curve - if that makes sense?

I have added some pics of the print!

IMG 20140830 155722

This is called "pillowing". You can read about it here. Your fans probably aren't at full power. Go back to cura settings and make sure the fan is at 100% well before this somewhat level area - possibly 1mm? 5mm is the default I believe:

Look at first picture - top left here:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

Thanks very much for your help! I have managed now to successfully print the part getting rid of about 90% of the pillowing - just some slight bulges showing in the surface but certainly no holes now.