Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
ifti

Whats next for Ultimaker?

Lots of rumors. I think they are working on an all metal hot end. There will be a few things announced sep 18 and then shown at Makerfaire NYC. The sep 18 announcement might be live broadcast or something. I'll certainly tweet about it. So on Sep 19 search twitter for #ultimaker. Or check the UM home page.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6815-makerfaire-nyc-2014/

I heard the new heated build platform will require a 1.5.7 board to be installed. I am very curious what this will mean for older hardware and, more importantly, what this will mean for associated costs and/or whether the older boards can be adapted to perform too.

If you are getting the UM Original or if there's any chance you might consider instead the UM Original - then definitely wait.

No I was just looking at the Ultimaker 2, to be honest.

I may just wait to see whats coming - it may well be that the Ultimaker 2 still turns out to be more practical for me, or better still, a price drop??!!

(I can only hope! lol)

I just ordered an ultimaker original, but it's not getting delivered until end of September. Think I should hold the order, upgrade to a um2 or get a refund? I've already bought a heated bed kit for um1, but can sell that. I'd be devastated if they bring out something else and lower the price of the um1 on 19th sept.

Macau - well I can't promise anything but last year when the UM2 came out I believe they held up all UM Original orders for a month or so because they figured people would want to get the UM2 instead. Or maybe it was that people who had ordered UM Original within a month of when the UM2 came out - maybe they offered them to return the Original?

That might be why your order won't deliver until end of September.

I personally don't feel like waiting for buying the UM2..

The UM Original isn't named the UM1 on purpose - UM1 makes it sound less capable or like the "old model". As far as I can tell the UM2 is much prettier but the UM Original can do dual head printing (UM2 is looking much less likely now to ever do this) and the UM Original is likely coming out with some upgrades to make it just as good as the UM2 (but not as pretty). And much cheaper if you assemble it yourself (not that hard!).

Don't discount the gardening equipment just yet. We might go into some kitchen appliances aswell.

Ah, I see. There will not only be a heated bed kit for the UM Original but also a cooled bed kit for printing chocolate and ice cream... :lol:

Hmmm, I like the open hackabiilty of the um original over the um2. Also, It was me who delayed the shipping date until 20th of September of so when I ordered as I'm out of the country until then. It's a tough one, but as long as um continue to support the umo, I guess it's not all bad. Would be disappointed as said though if they either supplied an upgraded model for the same price, or reduced the price just after mine ships. Wish there was more transparency over this kind of thing.