Whats next for Ultimaker?

ifti

Posted · Whats next for Ultimaker?

Considering the Ultimaker2 has been around for a while, and although its still at the top end of 3d Printers, what do you see on the horizon??

Dual extrusion??

Redesign??

Any rumours on whats coming?

Lots of rumors. I think they are working on an all metal hot end. There will be a few things announced sep 18 and then shown at Makerfaire NYC. The sep 18 announcement might be live broadcast or something. I'll certainly tweet about it. So on Sep 19 search twitter for #ultimaker. Or check the UM home page.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6815-makerfaire-nyc-2014/

I heard the new heated build platform will require a 1.5.7 board to be installed. I am very curious what this will mean for older hardware and, more importantly, what this will mean for associated costs and/or whether the older boards can be adapted to perform too.

I think SLS and FDM are two different beasts that each have their own niche to fill. If UM decides to storm this market, it will have to be alongside the existing products and not instead of :)

Or, how about a printer scanner combination :)

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/09/02/fuel3d-makes-3d-scanning-solutions-easily-available-sides-atlantic/

For the first deal, Fuel3D has signed a distribution agreement with European based 3D printer company Ultimaker

Call me excited :)

Maybe the solution is one extruder with two feeder. I don't understand how this could work, but Sharebot has managed to build it:

http://3dprint.com/13682/sharebot-q-3d-printshow/

EDIT: Hmm, it looks like it's only one (direct) feeder with two bowden tubes... no idea how this is be done.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you :p

Tell him (here) i promise not to say anything, and i can help you bury the corpse :mrgreen:

What is your twitter handle?

@gr5org

I only send a few tweets per year but plan to tweet Sep 18. Someone else might beat me to it so pay attention to #ultimaker on sep 18.

Interesting.....

I was planning on buying my first 3D printer, an Ultimaker 2, very soon - looks like I should hold fire for a couple of week sin that case!

If you are getting the UM Original or if there's any chance you might consider instead the UM Original - then definitely wait.

If you are getting the UM Original or if there's any chance you might consider instead the UM Original - then definitely wait.

No I was just looking at the Ultimaker 2, to be honest.

I may just wait to see whats coming - it may well be that the Ultimaker 2 still turns out to be more practical for me, or better still, a price drop??!!

(I can only hope! lol)

I just ordered an ultimaker original, but it's not getting delivered until end of September. Think I should hold the order, upgrade to a um2 or get a refund? I've already bought a heated bed kit for um1, but can sell that. I'd be devastated if they bring out something else and lower the price of the um1 on 19th sept.

I personally don't feel like waiting for buying the UM2..... unless anyone gives me a very good reason to do so. (Like a new pink model with unicorn logo, my daughers would love that).

Macau - well I can't promise anything but last year when the UM2 came out I believe they held up all UM Original orders for a month or so because they figured people would want to get the UM2 instead. Or maybe it was that people who had ordered UM Original within a month of when the UM2 came out - maybe they offered them to return the Original?

That might be why your order won't deliver until end of September.

I personally don't feel like waiting for buying the UM2..

The UM Original isn't named the UM1 on purpose - UM1 makes it sound less capable or like the "old model". As far as I can tell the UM2 is much prettier but the UM Original can do dual head printing (UM2 is looking much less likely now to ever do this) and the UM Original is likely coming out with some upgrades to make it just as good as the UM2 (but not as pretty). And much cheaper if you assemble it yourself (not that hard!).

I saw the UM original a couple of weeks ago and i must say i was impressed by it, okay it looks a bit more old fashionned than the UM2. Personnaly i like the wooden style :)

@gr5 subscribed to your twitter account, it looks fake, the pic is not a minion :mrgreen:

Don't discount the gardening equipment just yet. We might go into some kitchen appliances aswell.

Don't discount the gardening equipment just yet. We might go into some kitchen appliances aswell.

Ah, I see. There will not only be a heated bed kit for the UM Original but also a cooled bed kit for printing chocolate and ice cream... :lol:

Hmmm, I like the open hackabiilty of the um original over the um2. Also, It was me who delayed the shipping date until 20th of September of so when I ordered as I'm out of the country until then. It's a tough one, but as long as um continue to support the umo, I guess it's not all bad. Would be disappointed as said though if they either supplied an upgraded model for the same price, or reduced the price just after mine ships. Wish there was more transparency over this kind of thing.

We tried making an omelette on a heated bed once. Tastes absolutely disgusting.

But you could quite easily build a sous vide machine with the temperature sensor, the heating element and the PID controller to make really tasty eggs :-)

We tried making an omelette on a heated bed once. Tastes absolutely disgusting.

Just add bacon :mrgreen: