UM2 Enclosure plan

bez

Posted · UM2 Enclosure plan

I don't know much about it. Just that polyurethane is nasty stuff. We've started paying a lot more attention to safety on the materials end. I believe it's only the ninjaflex that is the problem. From what little I understand is that the problem occurs with high temperatures and is greatly increased if you burn the material.

My design is coincidentally pretty similar to yours but it is a snap-fit design no screw or glue applied. I also add printable carbon-activated air filter to tone down the smell.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-byUQnia8oew/VA4CKj_gC7I/AAAAAAAAEnc/VJVAUyCjlQ4/w411-h550-no/Ultimaker%2BEnclosure%2B-%2Bfront.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9u4wcllyKKs/VA4CU2upmDI/AAAAAAAAEno/A3q5PCDIMwg/w411-h550-no/Ultimaker%2BEnclosure%2B-%2Bback.png

Ultimaker%2BEnclosure%2B-%2Bfront.png

Ultimaker%2BEnclosure%2B-%2Bback.png

patiwat_kamonpet

would you be willing to share your model/STL files for the snap-channel for the acrylic? Same for the design of the door channel and handle. I am leaning towards doing a similar design but I'm, at best, barely a novice when it comes to 3D design. Also, did you print the rounded white piece on the rear of your printer above the filament spool?

I'm looking to purchase some 6mm/ 1/4" acrylic/plexiglass from my local hardware store in the next couple days. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

As everybody is looking for sketches and ideas to keep the climate inside under control, I do share my skethes and images here too. see here https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dust-and-climat-cover.

unfortunaltey I am still not allowed to uplaod images here. use at your own risk and feel free to midify, especially if the material is not available im 6 mm thickness

kuno

I bought the printer not too long ago and found that just to be safe i will be making a vented enclosure as well. I am developing an enclosure similarly to your sketch. I am drawing and prepping a sealed and vented enclosure. With an enclosed door and venting and filtering systems integrated into the enclosure.

The smell coming from the Ultimaker when printing PLA is actually kind of pleasant. It's subtle - I have to be within 2 feet of the machine usually to smell it. Some people say it's similar to cooked popcorn. The amount of vapors (oils) that get into the air is tiny compared to say frying bacon or a grilled cheese. It's similar to a small candle. Scented candles put out much more smells. If a scented candle drives you crazy and gives you headaches and scares you (carcinogens) then consider venting but not otherwise.

ABS and Nylon are a bit worse. I can smell the ABS sometimes (just barely) 20 feet away in an open area. It's still much less than a scented candle but more than just one plain candle.

I've been to places where 10 printers are printing at once and you don't normally notice any smell at all. You really have to stick your face right into the machine and concentrate.

So if the candles in a church for example don't bother you half way back in the pews I don't think you will notice.

I keep referring to candles and fried food because the vapors are created similarly - by heating oils to high temperature. You get the same sort of aerosols from a candle or by making a grilled cheese sandwich as you do from heating PLA.

"I keep referring to candles and fried food because the vapors are created similarly - by heating oils to high temperature. You get the same sort of aerosols from a candle or by making a grilled cheese sandwich as you do from heating PLA."

I like it. If I could convince my partner that printing is analogous to scented candles I could save a fortune, and some ear ache.

I had and enclosure on my "to do list" for a long time now.

Eventually I decided to build something quick and cheap just to get it done.

I found two suitable plastic boxes at "Clas Ohlson" and after minor modifications they were transformed into this:

Low budget enclosure for UM2

:smile:

The main functionality I was looking for is a slightly higher, stable temperature and noise reduction.

I am planing to add some kind of air purifier later on.

• Like 1

ha ha , thats "anders" (different) for sure ;)

I finally pulled my finger out and managed to take another step in finishing the enclosure ( i still need to print some latches for the door panel lol)

here it is so far

gallery_35497_1153_1514662.jpg

gallery_35497_1153_735331.jpg

gallery_35497_1153_765509.jpg

Your designs are great !

I'm thinking about enclosing my UM too but I was wondering about something.

Do you still perform the Atomic Method from time to time ? Isn't it impossible once you've covered your printer ?

I use it often and I wonder how I could cover my machine and still be able to disassemble/reassemble the top easily.