DidierKlein

Posted · Colorfabb XT in colors

Hey guys,

Colorfabb XT now in colors:

http://colorfabb.com/xt-copolyester

Just received this news by mail:

3D Printing Filaments Made Functional With Eastman Amphora™ 3D Polymer

Proprietary polymer launched from Eastman and Helian collaboration

Venlo, NL — Sept. 4, 2014 — Helian Polymers, a leader in the masterbatch and biopolymer industry, have teamed to launch colorFabb XT-Copolyester made with Eastman Amphora™ 3D polymer. The new low-odor, styrene-free filament is uniquely suited for the 3D market with benefits in air-quality, dimensional stability, and regulatory compliance:

The collaboration between Eastman and Helian, brand owner of colorFabb, began in 2013 with the goal of developing a solution for functional 3D products printed using extrusion based 3D printing. The companies worked to test materials and formulations, utilizing their expertise in high-performance polymers and 3D printing filaments. Eastman’s history with a broad portfolio of solutions and technical expertise complemented Helian’s innovative work with 3D printers and filaments. The resulting colorFabb XT-Copolyester made with Eastman Amphora™ 3D polymer focuses on functionality and features strength, workability, processing, low odor and aesthetics for 3D printed products.

“Although fast-growing, extrusion based desktop printing has yet to see a solution for functional parts,” said Alex Dudal, market development representative, Eastman Chemical Company. “Our collaboration with Helian has allowed us to go beyond prototypes. With Eastman Amphora™ 3D polymers, parts can be printed with a dimensional ability and functionality for industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, technology, education and retail.”

Eastman Amphora™ 3D polymers will provide makers of 3D filaments with a consistent, high-quality product. It will empower consumers to create strong, functional 3D products through desktop printing, while ensuring good air quality, dimensional stability, and compliance with FDA regulations. Looking to the future, Eastman is considering tailoring options — like color and texture — for additional solutions.

“The number of advancements we’ve been able to make in a relatively short amount of time is a testimony to the potential of our relationship with Eastman,” said Ruud Rouleaux, managing director, Helian Polymers. “Taking advantage of new, better-performing materials is the advancement the 3D printing industry needs to venture out of laboratories and into small businesses, schools and homes.”

For more information on this new offering and to view prototypes, visit Eastman and Helian Polymers in Booth P14 at the London 3D Printshow.

It's quite expensive indeed. Nothing to compare to Bronzefill as it's mostly double the size (in matter of filament length on the spool).

You can also buy a 2.2kg spool for 89.95€ which in that case is not more expensive than their PLA/PHA filaments.

Remind that good (not to say awesome) filaments are also expensive, try some cheap chinese filament and try some colorfabb filament and you will see the difference

While the price is indeed at the higher end, the quality and specs are very good.

Compared with PLA and ABS, it combines the best of both worlds, so easy to print with while the parts are very strong en tough.........

While the price is indeed at the higher end, the quality and specs are very good.

Compared with PLA and ABS, it combines the best of both worlds, so easy to print with while the parts are very strong en tough.........

The question is if there is a cheaper alternative? PET+ seems to be even more expensive (at least in Switzerland).

I don't deny the quality, I have a spool of transparent XT from ColorFab already and I like it a lot.

Yet it still a bit hard to justify 10€ price increase to get a colored version, compared to the transparent XT... just sayin :)

Hmmm...no offense, but: why do you think? Do you know the price of the master batch needed?

Although it is great that these colors are available, I cannot justify these kinds of prices to myself. I tried their normal PLA/PHA and felt the price was hampering me in my willingness to print, which is not what you'd want. This price bump is not going to make it any better.

Until the prices go down, I am sad to say Colorfabb is not for me.

Hmmm...no offense, but: why do you think? Do you know the price of the master batch needed?

I am not sure that is relevant when commenting as a customer. The internal price point decision making concerns me very little compared to the result of that decision making.

It's quite expensive indeed. Nothing to compare to Bronzefill as it's mostly double the size (in matter of filament length on the spool).

Its closer to 4-5 time more expensive in fact. The bronze fill is about 3 time heavier than XT/PLA. so for a 40% (49.95$ / 34.95$) more expensive 750gr you get in fact 3 time less filament length.

Edit:

material density:

XT : 1.37g / cm3

PLA: 1.21g / cm3

Bronze: 3.9g / cm3

Wood: not provided.

yep :D

Its closer to 4-5 time more expensive in fact. The bronze fill is about 3 time heavier than XT/PLA. so for a 40% (49.95$ / 34.95$) more expensive 750gr you get in fact 3 time less filament length.

Edit:

material density:

XT : 1.37g / cm3

PLA: 1.21g / cm3

Bronze: 3.9g / cm3

Wood: not provided.

Two different types of filament cannot be compared with each other based solely on the weight, that's not a fair comparison to my opinion.

for price it is... unfortunately.

They are not used for the same purpose and they do not try to achieve the same results. That's for sure.

But when it comes down to paying the price for a stool of filament you need to be able to define your price per cm3. On that level it's down to math. Nothing else.

Each makes its own assessment of whether the price is worth it or not.

I'm only saying you cannot compare 2 different materials only based on cm3 and price, but that's my opinion, I do respect yours.

I never said the price was driving my choice :D.

I was just adjusting the statement that bronze is not twice as expensive as regular XT but is actually 4-5 times more expensive.

I like XT as much as I do like PLA. I choose high quality materials first like Colorfabb and Faberdashery (Ultimaker as some nice stuff too) even if they will cost me a lot more due to shipping and custom fees because I know I'll get the desired results.

I need to make a "functional" out door part.

I was going to buy some black ABS, but it is out of stock.

Do any of you know how the XT stuff performs out doors? Hot, cold, wet, dry, the works.

Thanks.

I need to make a "functional" out door part.

I was going to buy some black ABS, but it is out of stock.

Do any of you know how the XT stuff performs out doors? Hot, cold, wet, dry, the works.

Thanks.

Acetal may be what your looking for. A decent wright up can be found here

Found for sale here

Acetal Delrin data located here

Acetal? What? I didn't even know that was an option for 3D printing!

Looks like I need to build a chamber! And some kind of vent.....hmm....that might be a challenge.

Have you used this Acetal filament? I am always worried about filament that says 3mm.

Hmmm that is interesting. Would be cool to see how well the parts print with that.

Posted (edited) · Colorfabb XT in colors

Acetal? What? I didn't even know that was an option for 3D printing!

Looks like I need to build a chamber! And some kind of vent.....hmm....that might be a challenge.

Have you used this Acetal filament? I am always worried about filament that says 3mm.

I haven't printed with it yet. Its on my list of to do's. Acetal is a good materal for low friction fuctional parts. Sort of a mix of properties between teflon and ABS. It also has a great chimical resistance property. I have used the material in blocks for PC water cooling. Works great as a water block as well. Keep in mind it off gasses formaldehyde when heated to melting point so it should be printed with ventilation in mind.

Edited by Guest