Hot Bed UM1

gary_auto

Any glass will do. Get thick glass. And attach with paper/binder clips so that the glass can expand and contract. Talk to your local place that repairs broken windows. Like I said, every town has one. Count up the windows near you - when you get to 500,000 windows, there will be a glass business in that radius. For me that's about 3 miles. Some places in the world don't use glass so much. These glass businesses will cut to specifications. In UK I would say under 10 pounds. They are the experts - tell them what you need and they will suggest a type of glass to use.

I prefer elmer's wood glue mixed with water and painted on with paint brush but you can also use many other PVA based glues. For example any glue stick (used by students and teachers) works great and every UM2 is shipped with one. Keep it thin - you don't want much at all. Just spread it well.

I think you will find the PLA sticks well to glass around that 60C temp (70C for me, maybe my sensor reads high) without any additional help like glue.

However, if it doesn't, I've found hairspray works almost too well and is less messy if you remove the glass and dust it with the hairspray OFF the printer.

You might want to consider Colorfabb XT in place of ABS. Seems like ABS really requires a heated chamber for all but the smallest prints. However, this is only what I have read as I haven't tried it yet (ABS).

XT is very ABS like although I suspect it is a little less brittle.

XT prints easily. However, on glass, I've found that hairspray is required to get the part to stick well. I was having some success without hairspray at 72C or a little higher but hairspray really sticks it to the point that you might not need a heated bed.

Posted · Hot Bed UM1

Heat bed and glass is working a treat just thort id update you all and let you no thanks :D