silent ventilators

Posted · silent ventilators

I just replaced the original UM2 center ventilator Deep Cool with the one from Ebay germany from Sunon and that really improved the noise when there is no printing and the machine is on now you cannot hear the machine!

I further want to improve noise by replacing the two nozzle cooling fans are these also 5v and does somebody have a link for ebay to buy replacement fans with more or less the same capacity ?

I would think twice before trying to reduce the noise level of UM2 by changing the fans. The fact is that in such small size the noise level and airflow go pretty much hand in hand. With larger diameter fans you can reduce noise by design and number of the blades, materials etc - with very small ones there's much less room for such smart noise mitigation.

Of course the side fans can be replaced with a different type of ventilation design altogether, that's another story. But replacing fans with ones of similar size will not help a lot - the ones used by Ultimaker are of high quality. If you win in noise level, you'll lose in airflow. If lower airflow is acceptable for the side fans, why not just reduce their speed? Cura has good options for that.

What comes to the rear fan, I really wouldn't lower its capacity. Using weaker fan will raise temperature of the print head - and the airflow towards the PTFE isolator will be even warmer than it already is.

If the noise level of UM2 is not acceptable, you need to either take into use a different print head or to build some sort of enclosure for the printer.

@Poro, that's what I'm thinking... Noisy because it's working hard to move the air, and with good bearings in the fan, it's not as though it's just rattling around to make all that noise. However, it is vibrating. You can tell by touching any of the x or y rods. These vibrations transfer to everything else and create a musical instrument that produces a warm tone of BZZZZZZZZZZ. I would love to switch to the tornado's, but with 3 machines, even enclosed, I'm afraid I'll be breaking some sort of noise ordinance :) Hard to say though because I've never heard the twin tornado's running, just going by what you guys have told me about family members moving out due to their loud scream :p

As far as I can see the nozzle fan reduced the noise a lot and if I see how fast the nozzle temp is cooled compared to the old one after printing, it is cooling better or the same as the old one. The temp when printing of the teflon is 52 degree Celsius.

Normaly I do not mind the noise but with prints overnight the "finished" printer was really making a lot of noise now I do not hear it anymore. As I now use Colorfabb XT and for better printing reduced the site fans to 50% this noise problem is also solved.

I replaced my rear fan due to noisy bearings in the original. The replacement was from the same manufacturer and had the same amount of air flow as the original, just MUCH quieter. From what I've read around the forum here, some people already have quiet fans. Maybe it's a crap shoot as to the noise level on a fan by fan basis?

When I got my Ultimaker 2 a few months ago the rear fan was really noisy and vibrated heaps. I also noticed on forums some people had quiet ones. I contacted Ultimaker and they sent me out a new one. Unfortunately it was just in an envelope with no protection and it gave more of a screaming sound. So I sent them a video and they agreed it's not normal. So now I'm waiting for my 3rd fan this time hopefully it will be in a box and will be nice and quiet.

Does anyone know the CFM specs of the stock hotend cooling fan?

Edit: Scratch that question. I see it is 3 CFM from this post: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6307-um2-twin-tornadoes/

I believe the tornadoes are the two fans on the side, not the back?

I recently replaced my smaller fan behind the hotend and it was 2.2 CFM. I don't think I would replace the hotend fan with one that pushes more air. Does that fan get faster/slower at times? Or is it just on at a constant speed all the time? If constant and replacing with a fan with a higher CFM, it might cool it down too much?

Here is the smaller hotend fan replacement from the same manufacturer. Model:

MC25060V2-000U-A99

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?KeyWords=FAN%2025X6.9MM%205VDC%200.38W%202.2CFM&WT.z_header=search_go

BTW, I replaced it because the original one was whining so loud, it drove me crazy. The replacement is whisper quiet at the same CFM.

...The fact is that in such small size the noise level and airflow go pretty much hand in hand. - with very small ones there's much less room for such smart noise mitigation.

Not entirely true, from what I've read. The pitch and spacing of the fins has a lot to do with noise/air flow as much as speed. The bearings of the original small fan were extremely whiny, buzzing. The replacement I bought was made by Sunon, same as the original. It had a different model number, but the same CFM rating of 2.2. The difference between the noise of the original and the replacement is more than night and day. From what I've read in the forum, most people's rear fans are already quiet. Mine wasn't. Now it is.

3Poro used the tornados to replace the hotend cooling fan. Not the ones cooling the printed material. The hotend fan runs at a constant speed when the printer is turned on.

Read these, they're very interesting.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5953-idea-on-underextrusion/

and this one:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6307-um2-twin-tornadoes/

TLDR; The PTFE piece expands under heat so you want to keep it cool as possible so it doesn't cause extrusion problems.

Personally I'm having extrusion problems so i've been looking at every possible cause. I replaced my hotend fan because it was noisy but my replacement was only a 1.9 CFM fan which may just amplify my problem. But I have just ordered these 3CFM fans with 16dBA rating.

1.9CFM fan at 16dBA

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ebm-papst/255N/?qs=%2Fha2pyFadugn%2FA8ZbmxbvR%2FiuyGqnSMTbEmS7%252b6qsV0%3D

3CFM fan at 16dBA

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?KeyWords=259-1569-ND&WT.z_header=search_go

Update: the new 3CFM fans are very quiet! You do need to get some 12mm M2.5 Socket Cap screws to attach them though since they're a bit thicker than the stock.

edit: correction the screws are m2.5

If they're thicker than stock, how's that working out for you when the head parks/homes? Are the thermo wires being pressed against the metal shield?

Its only a 10mm fan and the stock is 8mm so it will sit about flush with the corners of the aluminum hotend part. The socket cap screws will stick out a tad but that should be well above the shielding. The only problem I imagine is the wiring from the hotend will not fit into that gap by the fan anymore. I don't know for sure yet though. I just got my new ptfe and temp sensor this week so I need to put it all back together, I'll report back with pictures and a video.

Sorry for a dumb question. I just got my sunon replacement fan today. How did people wire it to their UM2. It only has two wires and not a plug.

I suppose cut the old cable, solder it, plug new cable?

Sorry for a dumb question.  I just got my sunon replacement fan today. How did people wire it to their UM2. It only has two wires and not a plug.

I desolate red the wires from both fans and resold red the one with the plug on the new fan. Just peel the sticker back a bit but It's easy to do and the neatest option.

Sorry for a dumb question.  I just got my sunon replacement fan today. How did people wire it to their UM2. It only has two wires and not a plug.

I desolate red the wires from both fans and resold red the one with the plug on the new fan. Just peel the sticker back a bit but It's easy to do and the neatest option.

Thanks, just picked up a soldering iron :)

• Like 1

Haha, just read my message, stupid phone auto correct. Keeps stuffing up the text on this forum.

But I guess you figured I was meaning desoldered and soldered.