Furry prints ... how to get rid of the hair ...

ultiarjan

Posted · Furry prints ... how to get rid of the hair ...

i tried adjusting the little white control thing in the feeder a hundred different times... still got the CLICKING OF DEATH.

also added a little oil to the bowden... cleaned out everything... replaced the teflon in the nozzle with the new fibre glass teflon...also tested print temps from 190 up to 260 to see if the underextrusion went away.... nope...

the best solution at the moment... is monster temp and then things settle down... but i do get the bunny fluff syndrom...

Ian :-)

I think there are many "bad" temp sensors out there that read a bit high. It seems much more common for them to read high than low. This means the actual temperature can be 20 or 30C lower than you think. So if it prints well at 250C I would stick with that and assume your nozzle temp sensor is off a bit.

i have that kinda feeling as well.

But I cant really complain.. I am getting really good prints.. even if I have to shave them before showing them off... LOL...

Ian :-)

I've now started to get very hairy prints also... all with ColourFabbs materials.....

My print-head is bit dirty. So basically I gather from this thread that the best way to get rid of the fur is to get a new print-head. Should I get the Hot end Bundle or just the Nozzle/Block?

Cleaning the nozzle (outside part) seems to solve the hairs for me. Altough they do appear if the nozzle gets dirty while printing

Only getting hairy prints with bronzefill so far, non of the PLA/wood/xt/glow does it.

I've cleaned and cleaned my printhead. Hairy prints still persists. I've ordered a new nozzle now to see if that makes any difference.

I got some fur with some nylon I was printing. I was printing at 260C. I wonder if the fur is more common at higher tempertures? Normally I print PLA at 200C to 220C.

Oh - and all my nozzles are very dirty but I have never *noticed* the fur with PLA before. I pay more attention now so we will see.

I've wanted to add this problem to the troubleshooting guide for a while but it seems we (you) haven't been able to find the root cause yet. So I figured I'd lift the thread back up and see if anything new has happened? I've only seen this myself a few times and at the time I didn't think much of it since it was so rare and thus I don't have much personal experience to add.

So far it seems that:

- A dirty nozzle could be a cause but doesn't seem consistent.

- Seems to be a bit material dependent?

- Higher temps appear to make it worse

- A new nozzle-heaterblock got rid of the problem for UltiArjan. How about you Deepshots, have you gotten your new hardware?

- Could it be damage on the nozzle causing it somehow? Maybe resurfacing the tip of the nozzle would help? No idea, reaching for straws here.

Oh and while I'm at it, I'll just go ahead and ask here: Is it ok for you if I use your picture for the guide UltiArjan?

I don't know the root cause of this either. It happens to me quite often but it seems a bit random.

I have this mainly with colorfabb PLA but i also mainly print with colorfabb...

Had this on woodfill Fine and also with BioFilla Linen. It doesn't bother me a lot because it's quite easy to clean

IMHO it's mainly material-dependent. I have it as well with Diamond Age PLA. But for some colors there are just a very few hairs while for other colors it's covered below a fur while printing the same object with the same gcode and the very same settings on the UM2.

And I keep the nozzle clean all the time; inside and outside!

I've not got any conclusive results unfortunately... Yesterday I started with a new roll of Colourfabb PLA and no fur at all. My worst fur came from a XT sample material I got from Colourfabb at London 3D print show. I wonder if this material had something wrong with it. I was about to change the nozzle but now it looks like I don't have to.. oh well... at least I have a spare

Also I have started to think that bed being too near could cause this. Maybe the hot nozzle rubs the previous layers and pulls tiny strings of it....

I'll do more tests with a new roll of XT that I just got if the fur returns.

It use to happen to me before. Quite a lot with UM Silver-Metallic PLA. But I don't have it at all anymore except with Colorfabb Woodfill and its just a few hairs.

Could it be the good scrub I gave the nozzle with steel wool that solved it? Don't know but its not clear what cause the issue and what solve it.

It should at least be mentioned in the guide as a known behavior with some clues of what could solving it but it wont be clear before many people can reproduce it.

I should add that since beginning my UM2, when priming, curls the extruded filament on the nozzle if I don't yank it down gently. After the first bit gravity will take care of the rest. I've done this routinely for a half a year now. If I don't do it result is a mess. But as said earlier, my printer has always done perfect quality before this fur issue started some weeks ago.

if it curl and stick on the top then you have a partial clog in the nozzle.

I've peered through my nozzle and it seems perfect. The hole is nice and round and atomic pulls do not result to anything. However, I might have a tiny scratch just outside the nozzle end (i've looked it at with a magnifying glass). I have often wondered if that is a reason for my priming curls.

And I could imagine that the little scratch could be a like a sharp comb that makes the hair happen. But all this is just guesswork

Could be. Probably anything that could induce a change in the flow direction could cause the curl.

IIRC someone cleaned up the end of their nozzle by putting down some very fine wet sandpaper on the bed and then carefully moving the head around while just barely touching the paper. That polished up the end of the nozzle nicely. Could maybe be worth a shot to see if it helps?

I also have the filament curling while priming and my nozzle is also clean inside

All of this does not really matter in the end as yesterday just by changing a filament my prints are perfect again. I'll post again if I get any further results/issues.

Thanks for reporting back Deepshots :)

I've added a section for it in the guide now just to let people know it's a known problem like pm_dude said. We have a decent amount of visits to the page each month so maybe someone will get in contact if they've found a cause and/or solution.