New Plugin - Swap At Height

pm_dude

Posted · New Plugin - Swap At Height

Indeed. Can you check at your file and see if the content look like python or more like an xml?

I dont know why but some time when saving the link to the file it save the entire page instead of the code.

override the content of your file with the one here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pmsimard/Cura/SteamEngine/plugins/swapAtZ.py

• Replies 68
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plugin error should be logged in the slice engine log (right click on save button)

G92 codes instead of E offsets are in. It also simplify some code :)

I just notice that this change broke the adjusted total material count. It doesnt break anything but the info displayed on the UM controller is now wrong.

Is this plugin not compatible with an UMO?

I tried to print a piece with the first 2mm on 0.2mm and the rest on 0.1mm. The lines in the first layers were separated, it seemed as if the 0.2mm layers were being printed with the flow of 0.1mm layers?

I'm printing the same piece on my UM2 and there everything seems to be ok so far.

Thanks for the plugin btw! I have a very big order and I'm trying to optimize print speed, thus this comes in very handy!

Yes it is very possible. I have onpy tested with the UltiGCode flavor on a UM2 so far. I'll have to see whats missing and test it out.

I wonder if this works with spiralized setting

I wonder if this works with spiralized setting

I just tested (just generated gcode) and it seems to work fine :D

layers are still defined like they would using the layer height increments but z steps are added in G1 most of the codes

Is this plugin not compatible with an UMO?

I tried to print a piece with the first 2mm on 0.2mm and the rest on 0.1mm. The lines in the first layers were separated, it seemed as if the 0.2mm layers were being printed with the flow of 0.1mm layers?

Is it possible the gcode you used in the plugin was generated for UM2 unlike the object being prepared (or vice versa)? I'm testing Cura using UMO configurations and they seems to match properly. I might be missing something...

Hi pm_dude,

I tested your plugin yesterday and it went perfectly as intended. I printed something with 0.2mm layers and 24% infill for the bottom part and 0.15mm layers and 0% infill for the top part.

Just a question if the two gcodes are made with different speed setting will it work too or do i have to add the TweakAtZ plugin?

Great work anyway i'm sure i will use this plugin a lot

Just a question if the two gcodes are made with different speed setting will it work too or do i have to add the TweakAtZ plugin?

Great work anyway i'm sure i will use this plugin a lot

Speed is defined by feedrate in the gcode (the F param in the G0 and G1 lines). In all the cases I seen so far the answer would be Yes the speed different would also be part of the switch.

No need to use the tweak at z unless you need to change temperatures.

Basically anything that is part of the layer will be transferred. Anything defined as a global param once will not be swapped.

Is it possible the gcode you used in the plugin was generated for UM2 unlike the object being prepared (or vice versa)? I'm testing Cura using UMO configurations and they seems to match properly. I might be missing something...

Sorry for the delay in answering, was on holiday.

I was wrong, just installed a new heated bed and the leveling was completely off that was the reason why it wasn't working properly.

Your plugin is thus working perfectly! Using it now :-)

Great! Thanks for the update

Could I use this on a Printrbot to swap filaments? The Plugin included with Cura does not work and Daid said that this is due to poor USB support.. But I am not sure if the problem is with Cura or his plugin.

If I used your plugin? And the printer pauses.. How can I resume? Is there a button? Or perhaps even a M/G code I could enter into the console?

Jon

Could I use this on a Printrbot to swap filaments? The Plugin included with Cura does not work and Daid said that this is due to poor USB support.. But I am not sure if the problem is with Cura or his plugin.

If I used your plugin? And the printer pauses.. How can I resume? Is there a button? Or perhaps even a M/G code I could enter into the console?

Jon

Hang on.. Sorry.. Reading the thread, it looks like this plugin doesn't actually pause the print.. Back to the drawing board!!

Hi Jon,

The Swap at Z plugin isn't suppose to insert any pausing command. If it pause it could be something else or because the swap did something wrong. Would you mind sending me the resulting gcode so I can have a look into it? I don't need to print the item.

Ok :)

A new version is available:

https://github.com/pmsimard/Cura/blob/7de6a4d4bab12533186c58bfa2056487715218d0/plugins/swapAtZ.py

- Added version number

- Added Cura compatible version

- Better check the filename to make sure it contain the .gcode extension

- Fixed the total material count

Does this work w/ dual extruders yet? A lot of my prints are done w/ dual extruders; hence the reason for my question.

...and will it work w/ TAZ 4 printers or only w/ Ultimakers?

Hi,

Its not limited to UM printers and should work with any. That being said I have mainly tested it with Ultigcode flavor which is not supported by every printer. Normally it should work with other gcode types unless the way layers are separated is done differently.

The best way to look if it will work is to save the resulting gcode and load it in Cura. You should be able to see the real result that way.

I don't know if it will work with dual extrusion. I do not remove any part of a layer so if the T0 T1 codes are within the same layer they should still be part of the resulting gcode. If you want to swap from dual extrusion to single extrusion on the same print then you will probably need to add an extra code to turn off the second nozzle.

EDIT: The only thing specific to ultigcode in the SwapAtZ plugin is the material count for the first extruder. I recalculate the total material used so you see the good value prior to printing on the UM controller.

hi,

this plugin is exactly what I was searching for. But my Cura just won't show it. I downloaded the latest version and added it to the correct folder. Did i miss something?

thanks