Are YOU using a filament filter?!

solid-print-3d

Posted · Are YOU using a filament filter?!

Just throwing up a quick post for any of you new UM users who have asked yourself,

"Do I really need to use a filament filter?"

This is before - Brand new foam

New

This is after 2 DAYS of use! And it's dirtier than the photo shows!

dust

So yeah, do yourself a favor, go to the craft store or order some foam online and USE it. Can you imagine how much dust you'd be pumping through your poor extruder over the course of a year without a filter?

*I do not print in a hermetically sealed environment. I print in a normal room :p

I should, but I'm lazy... I even designed a dust filter thingy that I never use :p

I printed yours but same here i'm to lazy to put it on or i just forget... i only takes a couple of seconds though

I should, but I'm lazy... I even designed a dust filter thingy that I never use :p

I'm using your design all the time Robert, works like a charm!

When I change a spool, I switch it from the old spool right onto the new one.

Especially with PET which attract dust a little more then regular PLA..

Weirdly my machine yanked the foam clean out of its casing and it's now in the bottom of the feed unit.. An internal dust filter, so to speak..

I may need to fish that out again, I think..

I have a scrap chunk of foam lying around, when I need a new filter, I just cut a chunk off, cut a slit in it, and wedge it underneath the filament just under the extruder. Works great, easy to change, stays on fine, etc...