Looking for someone with knowledge on ultimaker/RAMPS electronics

Posted · Looking for someone with knowledge on ultimaker/RAMPS electronics

I am planning building an Ultimaker from scratch. That is, using the available open source info to create BOM. However one problem that I'm currently stuck on is whether replacing the original board with a traditional RAMPs 1.4 is possible while still maintaining effective print speeds and quality of the original ultimaker.

Basically the Ultimaker electronic ramps v1.5.7 outputs 19v whereas the RAMPS outputs 12. The stepper motors I have seen up to this point all run on 12v so I'm not sure if the Ultimaker needs special stepper motors or just traditional nema 17.

Another concern of mine is the physical space that it takes. The ultimaker board seems rather wide and long whereas the ramps seems smaller and clunky. Question is whether it would then be too thick to fit.

That last question is easily answered. In the original frame you have 45 mm to work with. Any taller than that and the electronics will take up more space than the frame provides. Of course, if you build from scratch, you could always adapt the frame to your needs.

Hello Droopas

i have build an Ultimaker from scratch. Its hard to gather some of the parts but when you get them theres isn't anything different from this printer to an i3 in the building. because its an controller and some motors. There isn't enough space for the ramps controller with fans on top. i have created some feet for mine, so i could get it little higher and enough airflow for the controller. But if you want you can make the lasercutted parts longer so you get some more space beneath.

And don't make the ultimaker out of MDF, use Birch or something else thats more resistant to moving parts.

I have had to build another z stage out of aluminium because the MDF was too soft.

The extruder is another thing, i have started out with an E3D instead of the original because i had it laying around.

But then you have to get another mount and maybe create it yourself :)

Good luck with the build i hope you succeed.

Hello Droopas

i have build an Ultimaker from scratch. Its hard to gather some of the parts but when you get them theres isn't anything different from this printer to an i3 in the building. because its an controller and some motors. There isn't enough space for the ramps controller with fans on top. i have created some feet for mine, so i could get it little higher and enough airflow for the controller. But if you want you can make the lasercutted parts longer so you get some more space beneath.

And don't make the ultimaker out of MDF, use Birch or something else thats more resistant to moving parts.

I have had to build another z stage out of aluminium because the MDF was too soft.

The extruder is another thing, i have started out with an E3D instead of the original because i had it laying around.

But then you have to get another mount and maybe create it yourself :)

Good luck with the build i hope you succeed.

Can I use RAMPS and Ultimaker firmware and build a ultimaker from scratch.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will use a router to route 6mm plywood, as the 40w Epilog Helix laser i have acces to only cuts 6mm MDF, not plywood due to the glued layers. Acrylic chassis would seem interesting, and I've seen it done, however hearing how much sanding is involved just to fit Ultimaker pieces together, plywood is probably the best option.

I think I will modify it to have taller legs as well as move the Ultimaker logo to the top, such that there is space to mount the LCD internally. I don't really like the Ulticontroller, as it seems as if it was developed after the Ultimaker and thus could be optimized upon.

I bought an E3D hotend, also found https://www.youmagine.com/designs/e3d-v6-hot-end-mountby user Rai. The XY-blocks are printable as well.

- Droopas

any information how it went as im changing my printer from a i3 to a ultimaker well im going too take my electronics and motors of and use it on the ultimaker my question is what size of heatbed fits in a ultimaker

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2

Here's the step files of the um2 and umo. If you dont have the software for it download the free Design Spark Mechanical. Now you can fit and measure anything...