Ultimaker Origional + and dual extruders

Posted · Ultimaker Origional + and dual extruders

@neotko,

before UMO+ I owned VERTEX3d Printer from Velleman. Vertex3d printed in Dual Color very nice. They worked with REPETIERHOST what uses also Cura Slicer. It was really easy to understand. Repetier works Little different; First you splitt objekt then create groups then you can assign one extruder to group1 one extruder to group2.Later all object pieces moves to their proper position. Then activate ooze shield and wipe tower function (like this I printed objects with more then 30 pieces). Hier I found one Topic https://ultimaker.com/en/community/1794-repetier-host

• Replies 57
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Origional + and dual extruders

@neotko,

is there any Dual Extrusion solution for Objects with more than 2 pieces. For example: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:257911  when I split this LFS_Elephant.stl Object I get four parts (head, body, front foots and the rear foots). Then I highlight the head (yellow) then right mouse click dual extrusion merge body (gets red) and placed together with head, then left mouse click on this object then right mouse click on front foots (gets light yellow) also placed together , again left click on this object  then right mouse click on  rear foots (gets blue),Only four different colours?  Yes I know Little long story.

Edited by Guest

On Cura I don't think so. On S3D that's quite easy. I suppose you should open them on a 3d editor and resave them packed so you only have two files.

Can I use Heater Cartridge from Dual Extrusion Kit (Normally for Ultimaker Original only) on my UMO+ (White Electronics PCB) with Dual Exrusion Setup or should I buy another heater. I allready ordered one Heater Cartridge extra for UMO+ but they delivered one which is thinner than what my UMO+ uses. It will not work with UMO+ Aluminium heating block.

Yeah it works. But since Marlin only allows one PID for the heaters. So one will heatperfect and the other faster and will spike (but it will stabilize).

• Like 1

Just ordered an UMO+ myself. It'll probably be coming this week. I was also interested in a dual extrusion setup and can see that using the Ultimaker developed kit for the UMO is going to be a hassle. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has tried any aftermarket solutions like the E3D v6 Chimera. I have seen this setup on the UM2, but wanted to know if anything would change for the UMO+. Thanks.

If you really really really need dua extrusion get a bcn3d sigma idex. So far there are some dual systems but for um2. You can toy with google this post 'a different extrusion utimaker). But if you realllly need dual, wait for a sollution on um2 (it should be posible to adapt it for umo+ by changing the full hotend) or bcn.

Also since you don't have the umo+ yet I really recommend you get a gt2 belt/pulley to improve even more the print quality (it's the pulley system um2 uses). For that google 'mxl vs gt2 ultimaker'

Hello all.

Did somebody try this setup?

I have UMO+ with two sensors and two thermal couplers.

I am going to compile new firmware but I am questioning 2A more power on the motherboard...

Will that be a problem?

Can safe work around be adding 2 resistors on heaters to lower amps on them?

Heating would be slower but power supply and amps trough the board would stay the same...

If 2A goes trough the heater on 24V that means heater resistance is 12ohm, so strap on 12ohm resistance each nozzle heater would give 24ohms and 1A current.

If now it takes about a min to heat up with 2A, it might need 2 minutes with 1A.

Or put 20ohm resistance and get a little overload.

20ohm 30W resistors cost arund 5USD

Cheers