Mixing Gcodes/relative extrusion

olafweller

Posted · Mixing Gcodes/relative extrusion

Hey guys,

I want to be able to combine Gcodes so that I can play around with wall thicknesses/filling and top/bottom fills. The lower part of a print could have a wall with 3 perimeters for instance and the top part with 1. So I just want to cut the Gcode in Notepad++ at certain layer heights)

The difficulty is that Cura creates absolute extrusion values. I succeeded in combining 2 Gcodes but it took me hours to fit the E values of the second part to the first part using excel... (part 1 stopped at E456.4567 and part 2 started at E51.1236 for instance so I had to add 405.3331 to all E values of part 2)

I also used slic3r because it creates absolute values. However, the quality of the slic3r print is less nice than the cura version so I would like to keep using Cura.

So my question is:

Does anyone know how to make Cura create relative E values?

or

Does anyone know how to easily match up the absolute E values from two different Gcodes?

Unless I'm mistaken you could do G92 E1234 to tell the printer that this is what the extruder value should be without actually moving it. Do that at the start of each new pasted section. Should work I think.

• Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken you could do G92 E1234 to tell the printer that this is what the extruder value should be without actually moving it. Do that at the start of each new pasted section. Should work I think.

Wau, this would indeed solve the problem I guess. Would save me lots of work! I will do a test with this, thank you very much.

"G92: Set Position

Example: G92 X10 E90

Allows programming of absolute zero point, by reseting the current position to the values specified. This would set the machine's X coordinate to 10, and the extrude coordinate to 90. No physical motion will occur.

A G92 without coordinates will reset all axes to zero."

Example: G92 X10 E90

Allows programming of absolute zero point, by reseting the current position to the values specified. This would set the machine's X coordinate to 10, and the extrude coordinate to 90. No physical motion will occur.

A G92 without coordinates will reset all axes to zero.

@olafweller please use the SwapAtHeight plugin with caution on your UM original. I have tested it only using UltiGCode flavor for the UM2 so I don't know if it will properly work on your end. Also dual extrusion wasn't tested at all.

Hey pm_dude, can you explain how to write the Gcode path? Is that just something like C:\ etc?

yes its just the path to the file like this: D: est.gcode

I also used slic3r because it creates absolute values. However, the quality of the slic3r print is less nice than the cura version so I would like to keep using Cura.

One trick with Slic3r is to specify the perimeter extrusion widths manually to the same width as the nozzle hole diameter. When set to automatic, it makes it too big and the outer quality will drop (although it would be stronger and faster to print).

On 9/23/2014 at 11:49 AM, DidierKlein said:

That certainly works - I have just used it to edit a G-Code file to remove a section of print. However, generating native code with relative coordinates would make life a lot simpler for this kind of mod.

@Tony_J you replied to a thread that has been inactive for 9 years.. 
    this advice is very out dated.