Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
christopher-luy

Ultimaker Original with Heated Bed Kit- Z axis problem

Posted · Ultimaker Original with Heated Bed Kit- Z axis problem

Just an update on my problem with the funny z-axis.

I had damaged the electronics fan and meanwhile replaced. The print duration without problems increased from 30sec to 30 min. It is an overheating z-axis controller.

So what can I do? Someone suggested to reduce the maximum current of the z-stepper. But how do I do this on an Ultimaker original?

I had written 7 times to the Ultimaker support but so far my ticket was not drawn yet.

Any suggestion from the expert community?

Thanks anyway.

You really need a fan. There is another part that can also easily get damaged - the 19V to 12V converter. It's the 3 pin part that sticks up into the airflow.

So you should order a fan from ebay or something.

Also did you try printing on it's side with a desk fan? Again - the printer prints just fine sideways.

Its also surprising that this got missed during the ultimata R&D for this kit. So do we all need to go out and buy more fans for the electronics cooling, or is this an isolated case? Not sure how many users have this upgrade, are the other guys getting on ok?

Printing sideways with a fan:

I had put the printer on four blocks and directed a cold blower towards the electronics. I could print alright but gave up after 10min. I proved to myself that the overheating was the problem.

With the original fan replaced I thought that the problem would be solved. But it only improved - meaning printing stops later.

Presently I have to travel and need to investigate later. Maybe in the meantime Ultimaker can come up with a clever suggestion. Thanks for the 19 to 12 V converter hint, will check again that the fan works properly.