Ulti-evening 6h of October 2014

SandervG

Posted · Ulti-evening 6h of October 2014

Colors were done in 8 steps, needed to do dark blue and purple in two steps due to limitations in scad, of about 10 minutes on average, single 0.2mm layer including filament change and removal of alignment border. The white back took about 45 minutes for two 0.3mm layers.

Edit: and a wait of 16 hours for the missing light blue filament to arrive.

Korneel indeed: Just bring a bunch of whatever is most likely to break quicker.

Would love to know how we can pay for them (would a wire transfer be cool?)

That way I don't have to come there with way too much cash in my pocket :sad:

And should we bring some "tinker tools"? :)

I'm not going to be there. Deadlines and university. Also, maintenance for UMO is better documented already.

Blizz, sorry to miss you this time! Can you take notes if you hear something interesting ;)?

Unfortunately I'm not coming neater, still have a lot of testing to do and I'm already behind schedule :unsure: ......

Sounds like I will have enough attention for my blocked nozzle ;-)

:( Couldn't tap into the polycom like before to listen in :(

I am sorry that I was not able to come. My son prevented me from doing so by landing in the hospital this morning. So I spend the whole day in the hospital and only in the evening we were able to come home. So no ulti evening for me this time :oops: Fortunately we have been able to prevent permanent damage and my son will recover soon. This was a tiring day....

Don't apologize Zoev89, your son is more important than anything else........

so there was a lot of filming again today... especially of my car ;) when will the video be available?

Omg Zoev89, don't apologise at all! I hope your kid is alright!

To the UM people that sacrificed their free time to show us how to take apart a printhead: Thank you, it was a very informative session. I really hope that at least that part of the filmed material will be put online soon

Thanks,

My son is recovering. He is home and sleeps a lot.

do these events ever happen in London UK?

Colors were done in 8 steps, needed to do dark blue and purple in two steps due to limitations in scad, of about 10 minutes on average, single 0.2mm layer including filament change and removal of alignment border. The white back took about 45 minutes for two 0.3mm layers.

Edit: and a wait of 16 hours for the missing light blue filament to arrive.

How do you do multi coloured prints?

Wasn't aware there was an option to change filament mid print?

I really hope that at least that part of the filmed material will be put online soon

Yea I'm wondering too where all that film material/and photo's goes. They let the technician do some techniques over again to get decent shots. As if they are making video-tutorials. Should be nice for Ultimaker owners around the world to see how easy it is to fix some problems.

I really enjoyed seeing all the different modifications to the UM2. No two printers looked exactly alike!

I also hope that that audible gasp from the audience when Marit demonstrated how easy it is to remove the print head will still be in the final video.

You split your design per color and slice the colors separately. Then you print each color. In these prints the colors are only the bottom layer + maybe 1 additional layer. You print the last overlapping color to the full thickness. In this way you can create multiple colors on only 1 side of the object (the bottom). For badges or other small flat objects this works well. When you use a heated bed you have to make sure that the bed does not cool-down when changing the color otherwise your object will come loose.

You probably have to disable the skirt too i guess.

And to place the different objects correctly on the plate what's the trick?

Didier, you don't place them.

If you make sure you have an outside "fake edge" for every color (thus so that each of the models has a perfectly identical size), all you have to do is leave the model in the center of the buildplate. Cura will print everything in the perfect location. Just remove that outer edge between colors, like Dirkels mentioned.

blue1blue2cyangreenmagenta1magenta2Redyellowwhitelogo

In album you can see the 9 different parts I used. All colors except white are a single 0.2mm layer. The white one has two 0.3mm layers, you can use more but with two the back is still flexible. As you can see the colored ones have a small border the same outer dimension as white piece making them align perfectly, as long as you don't accidentally move them. In between prints remove the alignment border and skirt when on, skirt is not really needed as the alignment border is basically a skirt. If you need to keep the bed warm depends on what build service you use, with the one I use I could let the first 5 colors sit overnight on a cold platform without them getting loose, needed to wait for the final cyan color to arrive.

is the registration of October's edition!