Hot end temperature limits

Posted · Hot end temperature limits

For a stock Ultimaker, setting the hot end temp to anything above 260C will generate a warning message. What exactly is the risk if this temperature is exceeded i.e. which components would need to be replaced to safely extrude, say, PC or nylon 6/6?

-Jeremy

Yes - from a quick search it looks like that would start happening around 300 C. Anything else? PEEK is listed as having a melting temp of 343 C but I assume bad things would start happening well before that.

Would there be any issues with the temperature controller or thermocouple handling higher temps?

I'm wondering if a ceramic piece could be made to replace the PEEK component as well as insulate the brass barrel from the bowden tube. Just wondering if anybody can think of reasons why this wouldn't work before I go any further... :|

The PEEK is the first part to go. I've seen it happen, and it smells really bad. I guess the bowden tube would be next, but it doesn't get as much heat as the PEEK.

Hi!

Several people designed a solid PTFE part to replace the peek part and mount the tube away from the heat. Has anyone here implemented this kind of upgrade?

++

Gaël

Several people designed a solid PTFE part to replace the peek part and mount the tube away from the heat. Has anyone here implemented this kind of upgrade?

I am trying to compare a custom PEEK part vs a custom PTFE part (M6 and M7 tapped), and the initial test last night with the PTFE part was printing ABS at 250C without any issues... only the bowden/brass tube interface has a higher compression rate now, and restricts the filament a tiny bit, but it doesn't impair the print.