Sign in to follow this  
coffeecup

UM2: Pause at height and then change filament

Posted · UM2: Pause at height and then change filament

There is a "Pause at height" pluggin in Cura. Is it possible to pause at height and then change filament, and then resume printing? Thanks.

Yes. Very easy when you use a feeder you can open (like robert's, or my version). Just pull out the fillament when pausing and push the new fillament in...

The new 14.09 firmware is supposed to cut the power to the feeder, so you can change with closed feeders now as well... haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good

ok maybe i'm stupid but...anybody have a video on how this is supposed to go? My head parks and then it just sits there? How do I get the old filament out?

Yes. Very easy when you use a feeder you can open (like robert's, or my version). Just pull out the fillament when pausing and push the new fillament in...

Hi, Where can I find your tipe of feeder ? I think I have a problem with the original feeder. It jams all the time.

you can easily just pull the filament out because of 14.09 firmware revision the stepper motor for the extruder feeder moves easily,

This works with the standard extruder its easy to pull out the old and push in the new filament

I would advice not to use the standard feeder for this. When you pull the fillament out a long strand of plastics will often stay behind in your bowden, or worse you end up with bits of plastic in your feeder.

It's (IMHO) way better to use a feeder you can open and clean ... here's some links ....

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/and-another-um2-feeder-design