Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

What's the internal geometry of your jet nozzles like,swordriff? I found that atomics doesn't work very well with the E3D's. There are nearly always small residues of filament left inside.

Posted · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

Hi swordriff,

great news!

I took a look, and found some minor issue.

On the shop page the product on the bottom is called:

3dSolex JET Nozzle

the image shows a single nozzle. But if I click on it I am transfered to the same page as the 'nozzle set'.

Is this a bug or a feature? ;-)

Hi totanoid!

Very interesting comment you make here.

The geometry is similar, there are adjustments of ca 50 microns.

Ideally, the chamber should have an inverted cone to facilitate Atomic better, but

that would offer a very tight envelope for the low temperature retraction, and also

make the manufacture much more difficult.

It is possible, of course to have a "straight" (grmf..) conic shape, but then the friction at pull-out

time is even less than with the inline walls currently implemented inthe E3D nozzles. Theres is less friction at pull-out with conic shape because the material moves not only laterally but also away from the wall, leaving residue because of less friction.

I have worked on the problem by applying a top secret, unspeakable, unmentionable, nondisclosure-able

procedure (let me call it that; a procedure), and with the help from Anders on the geometry, to ensure that Atomic will

work better!

It is unclear when they will ship.

3Dnerd: Thanks a lot! Every suggestion I get which I CHOOSE to implement, is rewarded with a 3dSolex 040mm Nozzlem when they arrive. You are on the list too!

This is my first try at a webshop, and second for a web page, and need some input!

I have gotten a lot of feedback; all correct! But I gave decided that it will never have a conform look, and we dont supply conform products.. so it will look a little "silly" maybe and nerdy.. who knows...

Hi swordriff,

the ordering worked well, i received the "Thank you for your purchase" message.

But now i have an automatically created PayPal account (again... :()

This is a point i'm definitly not amused about...

For the wishlist: Please consider other payment methods.

Howsoever...i decided that the Olsson block is more important than the hassle with PayPal...

You should change the "add to cart" image to a transparent .png instead of the one you got now with wihite border, looks unprofessional, also, you need some kind of feedback for the shopping cart, right now it feels like nothing happens when you push the add to cart button, also some kind of way to reach the shopping cart that is not in the menu would be great, upper right corner is more or less standard.

I would also suggest Tictail as a system if you have not looked at it yet, then you get a lot of functionality for free, if you havnt looked at that possibility yet. (also, you can use Stripe as payment provider, so people don't need to have/get paypal accounts)

The second batch is looking better than the first batch when it comes to the alignment of the sensor/heater with respect to the locking screw.

2015 03 02 5333

It requires much less torque to fix the sensor/heater than the first batch.

While it is not really a problem on the first batch, it is always nice when things come out the way they were designed :smile:

The aluminum version has not been tested yet as my printer is busy. I am not sure aluminum is a suitable material, but it is interesting to try as it has very good heat conductivity and much lower mass than brass.

You should change the "add to cart" image to a transparent .png instead of the one you got now with wihite border, looks unprofessional, also, you need some kind of feedback for the shopping cart, right now it feels like nothing happens when you push the add to cart button, also some kind of way to reach the shopping cart that is not in the menu would be great, upper right corner is more or less standard.

I would also suggest Tictail as a system if you have not looked at it yet, then you get a lot of functionality for free, if you havnt looked at that possibility yet. (also, you can use Stripe as payment provider, so people don't need to have/get paypal accounts)

Dear Meduza!

Thank you for your valuable input!

I decided, that for such a fantastic product as Ultimaker, I need a fantastic web-shop, fantastic in the sense of "fairytale" more than a fantastically professional, normal web shop. I also do not sell ordinary products and refuse to have an ordinary web shop.

That being said, I have listened to input from you, UltiArjan, 3dNerd, TinkerGnome, and others via PM, and have been able to make the following fixes (remember, this is my first time, and finding the way around CSS and PHP is not easy for me. Fortunately, I have programmed 3-4 million lines of Turbo Pascal code, in the last Millenium sometime...

: Fixed transparent Add to Cart background (pixeledit gif, plus change to CSS which forced a border and background),

: Fixed real time cart update on left side,

: Fixed more relaxed colour contrast (UltiArjan)

: Links in webshop fixed (3dNerd)

: TinkerGnome: PayPal has optimized the checkout experience with an exciting improvement to our payment flow.* For new buyers, signing up for a PayPal account is now optional.

Hey guys!

We are moving off topic here, so please PM me with suggestions.

Has anyone tried bronze fill with the 0.8mm and 0.25mm nozzles? If so, can you share your experience?

Thanks,

Just a quick, off topic, question: can I upload photos to the forum from my phone? I can't seem to figure it out.

Are US customers still ordering through gr5?

That's a good question. Anyone who PM'ed me doesn't have to do anything at this time. Swordriff didn't really consult me on the ordering USA stuff (which is fine) so I'm not sure how it's all going to work. Hopefully paypal won't be taking out their percentage *twice* (once when ordering through swordriff and once when he pays me).

I have about 5 "strong" orders for UM2 and 2 "weak" orders (sometimes it's hard to tell if someone is serious about their inquiry). I told swordriff I want at least 20 blocks. If the nozzles are ready I'll take 25 sets, if not I'll have some blocks shipped with the nozzle shipment.

Anyway the point is I promise to reserve a heater block for each "strong" order I already receied for at least 5 days and the "weak" orders for at least 3 days after I send out the email that I'm ready to start shipping (which will be the moment they arrive here in Boston). I better talk to Swordriff soon... but so busy today...

Okay - Swordriff and I just worked everything out. So it's best to order through the website. There's no rush as Swordriff won't have the heater blocks until at least Friday. The good news is Canada people will get below cost on shipping. The more patient you are and the longer you wait the more all the bugs will be worked out but there is really no big reason to wait. We aren't talking about huge commitments of massive cash here and the product works - I've tried it and so have many others.

So - go ahead and order through the website. If you do it now it may take quite a few weeks to get your stuff. If you do it in 2 weeks you will get your stuff very fast. I will warn people here (on this forum) if we are about to sell out again. That seems unlikely.

Oh wait - I'm wrong - you can still buy individual nozzles on the website. That's nice. I removed my incorrect comments from above.

Swordriff;

I've placed 2 orders for a total of 2 hot end kits, 2 jet set kits and a bunch of Jet Nozzles.

if i understood you correctly, the Jet Set are the default E3D nozzles, but the Jet Nozzles are pecifically designed for the UM2 and this heat block correct?

if so, could you change my order of the 2 jet set kits into a bunch of Jet nozzleS? i don't mind waiting a bit longer.

that way i would have 2 custom heat blocks and a bunch of nozzles :)

Korneel!

All the nozzles we have now are E3D ones.

The "JET"s are not available yet. We have a number of engineering changes after inspecting the samples. I use an engineering firm in Japan, and things take some time.

It is not possible to say when they will be ready.

Sorry!

Swordriff, not a problem for me..

simple question: will je JET nozzles be better than the E3Ds? because if they will be, i'd like to have only JET nozzles even if i have to wait 2 months :)

i am patient..

Korneel!

Yes, they are better; Atomic (http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/10-the) works slightly better. It is a secret why, it has to do with metallurgy.

Everyone now receiving Kits with the (very good!) E3Ds will have 10% discount on their

next purchase with us, whatever it is, or one free JET (good if you order 2 JETs, one is free + shipping. We are bringing out exciting (if not life saving then print-saving) products shortly!

Its up to you!

I am a total fan of Ultimaker's, since these machines have by far the overall combined ease of use and printability / €$ of all printers (this is my subjective and private opinion, Anders agrees too).

There are many good printers out there, but they either cost more or do less.

Thanks, Ill keep you posted in PM

ok, i send you a PM with the changed order :)

I just finished printing the extended "The Olsson Block" edition :) of my tool holder design with my new block and a 0.4mm nozzle. Works great!

Ok. I might have resolved my heater error problems. My first test print with fans on 100% completed successfully. I'm going to try printing some other stuff to make sure.

No amount of PID tuning helped so I gave up on that. And I really didn't like the idea of modifying marlin. Plus I think extending the timer it would still occasionally error out.

Instead I used some silicon heat sink compound, rated up to 500F, to improve the thermal interface between the heater/sensor and the block. When the fans come on and bed is close the temp drops by 4C but its recovering faster than before.

Hi there

Since i downloaded the nozzle torque wrench i was thinking about an small modification because the deformation of the pin.All i did was separating and Extruding the pin to print this as an sparepart if it deforms.

I dont know if it realy needed but i was thinking about to share it here.

Here`s a picture of what i did.

gallery_40028_1892_44285.png

and here`s a dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8bn4p1404k7hco/nozzle-torque-wrench_seperate%20pin.rar?dl=0

Feel free to download and test it, if not needed feel free to delete this post ;)

Greetings Tyler

The better option is to print Anders Hex wrench instead and buy a hex to 1/4" socket adapter if you have a problem with thermal deformation of the pin:

5a4df25fcb59f_AndersHexwrench3DPrint.png.08265b8c8791de6947e100c6fcd5a978.png