Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

Posted · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

I like that design, i tried something similar (but less sexy) a few months ago but had a lot of heaters errors, i didn't try with a 35w heater though, it's interesting to know that it's more stable.

What happens if you print a big thing with fans on soon (after 2mm let's say?)

• Replies 926
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

Like it, apart from the functionality it also just looks good.

Was just wondering (gut feeling) if the area marked in red is not too restricting for the airflow, I would compare it with something like the curve marked in green...

fan.png.f2e4dc51ffd8607d86b80874ef8118b6.png

Hi Didier, I've not printed any thing really big, but I did try a simple sample tag only a few mm as shown below with the fan on 100% at 3rd layer with no problems.

image.thumb.jpeg.8f317e8d5f391d676d75537dd4edb0ba.jpeg

Hi Jan, I did think about keeping it flat but I also wondered about a large flat piece were it may cause a higher pressure area on the workpiece as the air was restricted. At the moment they only approach the bed as a large square ish nozzle, if you want to try a flatter bottomed one I can model it for you :-)

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

For my fan cap (not um2 but somehow related) I ordered 2 pieces on stainless steel at imaterialize, and it was just 15€. A small piece of metal to cover the hotend from the fans

5a331424c55d6_Capturadepantalla2015-11-25alas10_01_04.thumb.png.ced9c8982d81413a94cffda095f94169.png

5a3314268c130_Capturadepantalla2015-11-25alas10_04_29.thumb.png.088fd9b3a4f25ce4046503d86b84fb3d.png

Ofc you could just add a piece of Nomex paper (costs even more than the stainless 3d printed part) and stick it with kapton tape.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

Ah, only 15,- I like the idea of a metal shield, I'll look into it for my E3Dv6 mount ....

Though a simple piece like that is also easy to bend and drill from alu ...

Edited by Guest

Ah, only 15,- I like the idea of a metal shield, I'll look into it for my E3Dv6 mount ....

Though a simple piece like that is also easy to bend and drill from alu ...

I'm also concerned about the hardness. It will arrive in a pair of weeks. I left holes to use an m3 cap so the screws go in tight.

Just a quick kudos/thank you to GR5 for hooking me up with a 39 watt replacement for my UM2. It heats up super quick!

I now have no problems printing at ANY fan speed @ 250C - even with .8 nozzle.

No more heater error!

Thanks!!!

• Like 2

Hi mendells, I'm running with Carl's 35W heater, and like you with the origional 25W heater I was getting the error when the temperature drop 10 below the set temperature. The testing I have done with these two sets, the nozzle dropped just 2 degrees with the notch set so the air is flowing mainly to the part with just a small amount to cool the new material.

This has evened out the cooling of the Robot print with both ears, antenna and bringing looking better.

I've been debating moving to the 35w heaters. How has your experience been using them so far? Any issues?

The 35W heater is great, responds quickly to changes and compensates for the fans rapidly, rarely is it more than 2 degrees from the set temperature, so much better than the origional one, a no brainer as we say:P

The funny thing is when Daid first put in that "heater error" feature people kept complaining about it and then Daid realized he had a 35W heater and that the standard UM2 was 25W, lol. So the PID values might also be geared more towards a 35W heater. Anyway he dialed back the heater error parameters and people (mostly) stopped complaining. I have the feature turned off on my UM2 but the feature is turned on for my UM2go.

Didn't realise you could easily turn it off.

We must be due for a Cura and firmware update soon, I like a few of the features available on the beta version although I prefer the layout menus of the normal Cura.

FYI - my original heater was only 21 watts. No wonder I was having problems :angry:

Since the OB nozzle sticks down lower than the original UM2 nozzle, it gets cooled by the print fans more than the original. I didn't want to give up my stainless fan mount or make all kinds of unnecessary changes just to be able to change nozzles. This is not a problem with the heater from the GR5 store.

I've been running the OB with .8 nozzle for the better part of the day with some interesting 'schooling' going on with it. I am doing a print now, just spiralizing the outside, (it's like a funnel shape), and to thicken it up, I set the layer height to .5 and shell @ 3.2mm. It is getting it in one go, and the fastest I can go without the extruder clicking is 8mm/s. (started at 30mm/s and reduced it to 27% where it stopped making noise). It's laying down nice thick stadium layers. Cura says @ 8mm/s I am extruding 3.2 mm³/sec

It was interesting to see the effects of the extruder motor skipping and be able to clearly see the plastic get sucked back into the nozzle a little bit and the resulting change in extrusion shape.

First tests were with 1.6 shell UPET @ 245C, 40mm/s. Testing listed above with ColorFabb PLA/PHA.

Edited by Guest

izzy: I WANT this - please offer both versions, but Do It Soon!

image1.thumb.JPG.2a35d70af3c9fc5151bd486d3ebcd610.JPG

(Pic above) Olsson Block 0.8mm nozzle, 0.5 Layer Height CF PLA/PHA @ 40mm/s 1.6 shell & top/bottom

image2.thumb.JPG.71a79a6b6481aa7c64b3fe6c13ebede9.JPG

Comparison to silver PLA @ 0.1 LH @ 50mm/s, 1.2 shell/top/bottom, 0.4mm nozzle

image3.thumb.JPG.fa0061ecdc662db8ff70829824e43a82.JPG

PLA 0.8 nozzle 3.2mm spiralized outer shell, 8.10 mm/s speed, 205C (single outer spiral pass). The start points are clearly visible, as well as some underextrusion on the lower levels where I was tuning the speed and making adjustments. Speed was reduced until extruder stopped clicking - which causes an underextrusion condition.

image4.thumb.JPG.307ee3738d92773603d07445f377fdff.JPG

Laying down nice stadium layers...

image1.thumb.JPG.2a35d70af3c9fc5151bd486d3ebcd610.JPG

image2.thumb.JPG.71a79a6b6481aa7c64b3fe6c13ebede9.JPG

image3.thumb.JPG.fa0061ecdc662db8ff70829824e43a82.JPG

image4.thumb.JPG.307ee3738d92773603d07445f377fdff.JPG

Jut for fun, a short video showing the flow of my UM2 printing with a 0.80mm nozzle and 0.40mm layers (in woodfill)... who said that Ultimakers print at maximum 7mm3/s?? :p

• Like 1

Ok Guys, I've published the design for the ducts link below

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-fan-duct

Several variations of the RH duct

Edited by DidierKlein
    correct url
    • Like 2

Ok Guys, I've published the design for the ducts link below

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-fan-duct

Several variations of the RH duct

Thanks! can you add a .step file so people can modify it?

Step files now also added for the ducts

• Like 1

Jut for fun, a short video showing the flow of my UM2 printing with a 0.80mm nozzle and 0.40mm layers (in woodfill)... who said that Ultimakers print at maximum 7mm3/s?? :p

Nice! I loaded up bamboofill yesterday and it smelled like a pile of MDF burning...so I swapped it out for PLA before the smoke alarm went off (@190C). LOL!

I like your display setup - what firmware are you running?

I think the reason my flow was so low on the green thing was because it was doing the spiral outside layer at 3.2mm thick in ONE PASS(!) It was going really well until the top of the model started to taper in & I guess that 'black magic' setting slowed things down and changed the fan percentages...I kept changing it to 100% and it kept changing it back to like 43%...I wanted to stab the machine right then and there...so I had to quit the print before it was done. Plastic was just folding over...

It sure makes the spool spin around pretty quick compared to a .4 nozzle!

Whatcha running for an extruder setup?

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

The firmware is made by @tinkergnome. Its super!

Link:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/7436-more-information-during-print?page=1

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Didn't realise you could easily turn it off.

"easy" is a relative term. You have to edit one line in Configuation.h and rebuild. Or you can get an old version of the firmware - for UM2 the newest version of marlin without the heater error is: 14.09. There are no official versions for um2go or um2ext but they are easy enough to compile.

@izzy I printed your ducts and everything is working like a charm!! One question: the ductssit much lower than the original ones (their exits are almost on the same level with the nozzle, almost touching the print). Is that ok? I am afraid in time (maybe after some use), they will drop down slightly and scratch the print or something.

Hi tasopoulos, the ducts are meant for use with the Olson block which enables the swapping of nozzles, It should fit at the level as show in the photo which is at the bottom edge of the nozzle hex.image.thumb.jpeg.94396ab8251c68f35fd045ff4fd3bd78.jpeg[/media-thumb]

If you have the set with the notch I've not noticed them being effected by warp from the heat, I did try my PLA set with them printing a ABS sample and they seemed fine, but please keep me updated if you get any problems I can reduce the height a few mm if required.  Cheers, Izzy

image.thumb.jpeg.94396ab8251c68f35fd045ff4fd3bd78.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the quick reply, dude. I have the olsson block installed, and have printed the ducts with PLA (printed the ones without the notches). From your image, I would say mine hang down about a mm more (I am at work now, so cannot upload a photo). A version with 1-2 mm reduced height would be greatly appreciated (or I could just print these ones, "sunk" 1-2 mm into the cura table)?

Here's what I mean:

20151130_184913594_iOS.thumb.jpg.ef8d4d43a2232ee1ff8f011e31586b41.jpg