Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

Posted · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

I still have 3 extra heater blocks and nozzle kits - anyone interested? I guess I'm not going to try to advertise too heavily until the next batch is ready. Or I'll just let swordriff do the advertising.

• Replies 926
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

Sali! I be' im moment usverchauft. Wenns nöd cha warte, hät der

gr4 in Boston no einigi.

Sösch muesch öppe zwei woche warte.. schickschmer a PM ?

Merci!

@Anders, A friend have seen the torch wrench you made and was wondering if it could be adapted for more torch resistance and for specific values. He think it could be useful for bikes repairs/tune up.

The torque can be set reasonably well within a limited range by changing the number of springs.

However, as UltiArjans measurement showed, the torque varies with the type of plastic.

For the current model it will be between about 0.25-0.4Nm (ABS lowest, PLA highest), which is perfectly fine for the nozzle.

If you print it yourself using the same printer, settings and plastic I think you can get within 10% or so.

For high torque versions I would recommend the version with a hex hole instead of the square pin, as the pin is what is going to break first.

You could of course design a larger version for much higher torque, that is one of the things on my list of things to try, but it did not happen yet.

Thanks. I'll try to get some needed numbers from my friend and see how we can modify the existing version to match the needs.

No disrespect to Anders here but... Why on earth would you print a "toy" (again, not trying to be an ass here, I love the design) for something like that? I've seen what happens when the front wheel of a bike disconnects while going full speed down hill. Let's just say it was a good thing my friend had a helmet on.

Why on earth would you print a "toy" for something like that?

Go figure... My friend was just finding it interesting too look into. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the wheels haha.

I'm interested. I tried printing t-glase recently and I had only poor results. The manufacturer recommends a .7mm for best results and at least .5mm so being able to swap the nozzle out would be ideal.

You could do that fairly easily with a magnetic kinematic mount for the extruder modules and a Cura addon lo change module.

It is a bit tempting to try now when I think about it :smile:

I guess it should be discussed in another thread though.

Just started: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/9657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer/?p=94033 :wink:

The Block with exchangeable Nozzle is completely sold out with

a large underrun as well.

You can PM me and you will have one from the next batch.

Then you can use any M6 standard nozzle, I have 0.25-0.40-0.80mm

The standard UMO nozzle works well too!

leak

leak :eek:

apperantly the torque provided by the XT version of the tool is not good enough .... not sure but i think i changed at about 80 celscius. What would be the ideal temperature to fasten the nozzle ?

the leak was at 0.4, very standard printing.

Aj-aj-aj!

The first reported leak!

I use the PLA version of the torque wrench, I have not used a "real" one with a read out.

PLA is pretty stiff!

I always change nozzle at full temp, 200-220C. This way, any residual PLA in the hot end

intermediate chamber is soft will "flatten".

Curiously Sander at UM asked me about leak today, and I said it NEVER LEAKS.

So all this did not happen, Do you hear me??? haha!

I still have 2 heater block kits (and 2 nozzle kits) but I only ship to usa/mexico/canada (I am swordriff's north america distributor).

I get inquiries almost daily (but no bites) so I think they won't last more than a week or so.

I always change nozzle at full temp, 200-220C.

I always change nozzles at 180C. That is plenty hot (even 150C is probably hot enough) to make the pla turn from "thread lock" to "thread grease".

Whats the price on these custom blocks? Maybe I missed it in the previous 11 pages. :???:

I sent you an email with the pricing. Maybe it got lost in your spam folder?

leak :eek:

apperantly the torque provided by the XT version of the tool is not good enough .... not sure but i think i changed at about 80 celscius. What would be the ideal temperature to fasten the nozzle ?

I change the nozzles at full temperature too, just like swordriff.

It is quite convenient to use the "move material"-function when changing nozzle, since you can continue priming the new nozzle immediately, not having to go through the menus again.

You don't have to use the atomic pull to clean the nozzle before changing. I did it the first few times but lately I just change the nozzle and move material for some time to get rid of the remains of previous filaments.

I normally insert the nozzle and quickly turn it a few turns with my fingers, let it heat up a few seconds and then I use the tool to tighten it.

I haven't had a single leak in the four months I have been using this heater block.

That does not mean it can not leak of course, but I would be surprised if leaks turn out to be a common problem.

Agree. For now i consider it human error. Started to change at higher temp. Printed maybe 5 hrs. No more leaks.

Good idea and nice design!

I uploaded the optional hex hole version of the torque wrench by the way: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/nozzle-torque-wrench

ARJAN!!! You are FANTASTIC!

Anders and I discussed something like this, but this totally beats our expectations!

You are hereby awarded a "3dSolex I2K" heat isolator and Teflon coupler!

This kit will retail at 25€, but I am shipping you a prototype kit for free for designing this delightful

add-on!

With the "I2K", you will be able to print for hundreds of hours at 260C without

heating the Teflon coupler much over 100C, (-hopefully- :grin: )

Again, thank you so much!

• Like 1

@Anders, printing your version of the "hex hole" tool right now, mine was a bit loose and dropping a metal tool on a glass plate may not be such a good idea...

@swordriff, thanks, always in for a bit of testing, just got a new spool of black XT so the higher temp will be usefull.

@swordriff, thanks, always in for a bit of testing, just got a new spool of black XT so the higher temp will be usefull.

Use the XT with 0.8 mm nozzle to 265 - 270 °....it's indestructible !

Love this filament....soon the cf20...with a stainless steel nozzle :)

rigs; where did you get the steel nozzle, at E3D I only see them for 1.75 fillament ....