ABS profiles for Netfabb

konrad

Posted · ABS profiles for Netfabb

Does anybody have successful ABS profiles?

I haven't tried anything yet, but I'm running out of PLA for the moment and have a lot of ABS to play with.

Is it possible to just use one of PLA profiles and just increase temperature? If so how much more temperature could be fine?

I haven't tried anything yet, but I'm running out of PLA for the moment and have a lot of ABS to play with.

Is it possible to just use one of PLA profiles and just increase temperature? If so how much more temperature could be fine?

Dunno about the temperature.. Should be higher but I don't know how much higher. If nobody else knows, I'd try taking a conservative guess at the temperature and pushing the ABS through by hand. If it doesn't come out the nozzle, bump it up by 5C, wait a minute and try again. It might take some experimenting.

The profiles will probably be close but might be a little on the thin side. Whatever it's off by will likely be consistant so try getting it right at the easiest profile you can find and figure out the difference in extruder speed between PLA and ABS - use that multiplier to get other other profiles to work. If my math works (and there is ZERO guarantee it does) multiplying PLA extruder speeds by 1.15 might be close.

Beware going under 0.1mm (or even 0.15mm) layer heights with ABS. I found ABS a lot harder to do than PLA..

Thinking it was PLA I put some ABS in the Ultimaker last week printing the Ultimaker robot + support (

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11551

). The Gcode was created on a Netfab PLA profile. I don't know which quality profile it was since it was created by Siert on the workshop. I was impressed by the calculation speed of Netfabb and the quality of the 3D print which made me decide to buy Netfabb afterwards.

Although the 3D print has some minor flaws, the surface of the robot looks awesome! I found some minor blobs on the arms and the two 'dots' on the bot's head are nearly massive due to stringing.

I really need to make some photo's and printscreens.

Conclusion: I think the (very good) Netfabb PLA profiles will need some tuning for use with ABS. I think they are a good starting point.

Good question!

I have the same problem. I found out that the black filament that was handed out during the latest workshop @ protospace was ABS. The white is not. I also have some red and pink. I don't know what that is yet. Siert showed us a trick: burn the plastic with a lighter and smell the fumes... but I forgot how each should smell.

I've seen screenshots of Netfabb that has ABS and PLA templates that you can use when you create a new material. That is probably an extra feature of Netfabb pro?

but I forgot how each should smell.

PLA smells sweet, like maple syrup. ABS smells nasty, like.. uh.. burning plastic. You REALLY don't want to be actually lighting this stuff on fire unless you're outside or in an area with good vents. ABS definitely produces very toxic fumes and I think PLA does, too.

Also, PLA will snap if you bend it too much - it's harder and more brittle than ABS, which will bend a lot more before it breaks.

In general, volume is volume and profiles for one material should be close to profiles for the other. ABS will likely require either turning the extruder speed up a little or the X/Y speed down a little. Or a combination of both. The theory is that since ABS is softer, the filament drive gear bites into it more, giving the gear a smaller effective diameter - one turn of the gear takes in a slightly shorter length of raw filament.

ABS also needs a bit more heat, though I'm not sure what a good number is on an Ultimaker..

I'm using abs with netfabb with a sells mendel (I know a bit different from an Ultimaker though)

And succesfully too (now).

I'm using ddurants netfabb material profile creator from his thread. I needed to over increase the filament diameter to compensate for the packing density of abs being lower than pla...I think that's what it is/why anyway :S

Rencio out.