Marlin firmware update went wrong. Now no connection possible...

stephan

Posted · Marlin firmware update went wrong. Now no connection possible...

Thank you so much Anon for all this information, Great!!

One led blinks during the upload at the same time a rule appears on the screen with "time out"

I used the reset button several times without any result

The serial Terminal disappears when I start with an upload :(

Ultimaker will send me today a new Arduino, this takes to much time for us.

Thank's

I tried all of the suggested and have no good results. Still TIMEOUT

Also called whit UM and they are busy with this subject. They let me know tomorrow what they will do...

Wow, I've never seen so many bricked Arduinos If none of the stuff I suggested worked, I think you need a new Arduino. Very strange because I've never see a firmware update do this...

Did you guys hook up the bed before flashing? Or after? Or more specifically, was the Arduino working after the bed was installed and connected? I wonder if the bed is frying the Arduinos some how....

Sorry I couldn't help. Hope you get it straightened out. The 2560 isn't terribly expensive, might be quicker to buy one elsewhere:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Arduino%20Mega%202560&sprefix=Ardui%2Caps

Good luck.

Thanks so much Anon4321,

I installed the HB and printed one model. All worked fine!!!

Then next day cura wants to update itself and I let her do it. She asked me what kind of printer I have. I thought UM Original+ (for +updates, like a heated bed). After that my UM controller went blue. Hence this page...

Wow, I've never seen so many bricked Arduinos If none of the stuff I suggested worked, I think you need a new Arduino. Very strange because I've never see a firmware update do this...

Did you guys hook up the bed before flashing? Or after? Or more specifically, was the Arduino working after the bed was installed and connected? I wonder if the bed is frying the Arduinos some how....

Sorry I couldn't help. Hope you get it straightened out. The 2560 isn't terribly expensive, might be quicker to buy one elsewhere:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Arduino%20Mega%202560&sprefix=Ardui%2Caps

Good luck.

I partially agree with you, I can buy a new one. But how can I be sure that the problem will not come back with the new one ?

This morning I installed a new Arduino and everything works fine now.

Ok, working on 2 things right now.

1) Fixing the problems with "Timeout" happening on firmware install.

2) Making sure you cannot install an UMO+/UM2 firmware on an UMO and UMO firmware on an UMO+/UM2

Ok, this is a dirty hack but it is quick and doesn't involve removing or replacing boards and it got my machine out of 'bricked' status (I made the same error of trying to upgrade firware on an Ultimaker Original but selected Ultimaker +).

These are the steps that worked for me on a UM original.

You need to unplug the main power supply from your UM and connect your computer to your Ultimaker via USB.

Open up the Arduino with any basic sketch, make sure you have the right board and port selected then...

The trick is *and I told you this is a hack, but a well known one* to unplug the usb from the Ultimaker and hit upload as you plug the usb cable back into your machine. It only took a couple of attempts for me before the sketch uploaded.

Basically if you get to this stage you're in good shape.

Close the Arduino IDE

Now open Cura go to

Expert > Run first run wizard

and this time don't select Ultimaker + when you upgrade to Marlin firware.

The upgrade went straight through and the machine is alive once again ;)

Hope it helps.

SO annoying. BUT - thank you 3dify. Worked like a charm!!

3Defy You are my Hero... She works again. A true dirty hack but who cares.

Thanks so much!!!

3dify ;) Great to hear it worked for others too!

What do you know when the upload process begin, normally the process begin with a compil, the upload begin after that, isn't it ?

I found the option to upload without compil :) and the hack is working for me too ;) Thank you I'm happy ...

Excellent, thanks for the reply. After a few days printing no signs of any problems and in fact the UM original is printing really nicely with the Marlin firmware, would certainly recommend the upgrade.

I have the same problem: see my topic about "Ultimaker original Printer seems to be dead".

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7945-ultimaker-original-seems-dead-only-extruder-is-heating/

The problem started when I installed Cura 14.9 and downloaded the default firmwere.

Before my system worked excellent.

After some e-mails to Ultimaker, I did some tests like already noticed in the above replies. (download the firmware onto a uncouppled Arduino worked well). After that, Ultimaker support concluded that my Motherboard should be defect. So I build in the new motherboard I had to buy. No results. Only the extruder could be heated, but my heated bed, nor the movement of the axes worked. I also installed the Ulti controller.

Than I got the suggestion to build custom Marlin firmware, which I did. I made a dozen different configurations. Again no results.

So I am also desperate and still can not work with my Ultimaker original. I lost already a fow orders fore building prototypes.

Is there than nobody who is able to give the right solution ?

Only the extruder could be heated, but my heated bed, nor the movement of the axes worked.

So this sounds like a different problem than the topic. You can connect just fine, right? Do you have an ulticontroller? that makes things so much simpler. If not you should control the printer with pronterface is it will give you much better diagnostics - free download here:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

So you say the extruder heats up? I'm wondering if it is getting a MAXTEMP error. I don't know how to test this without an ulticontroller because I only use ulticontroller but pronterface might be able to tell you.

Also you should use the version of firmware that comes with Cura. Have you gotten that to install onto the arduino yet? Other versions of Marlin will not work with the heated bed as this is a unique way to do the temperature measurement and doesn't match any of the existing temp probes in normal Marlin firmware. So start Cura from the begining with the wizard and answer the questions "UMO" (not umo+) and HBK (heated bed kit) and see what version of firmware it supplies you.

I've been having the same problem (unable to connect to the ultimaker as at the start of this thread), but whenever I hit the upload button the arduino software first compiles the sketch prior to upload - so for me it has not worked. How do I set it to upload without compile?

I don't think you can. I never figured it out anyway.

However if you enable the detailed output and compile again, it shows where the resulting hex file is. You can move that to a safer folder and use Cura to load it onto your arduino under "machine" "install custom firmware".

sadly after I updated the firmware via cura, my ultimaker is not recognised by cura - the connection just times out, as with the other entries at the start of this thread - very frustrating :(

so unable to update via cura at all now. I think I'll have to remove the arduino and try flashing the firmware that way - joy :)

To be honest I'm surprised that UM haven't put a warning on the update process to stop others bricking their machines. Or at least explicit instructions on how to avoid the issue.

I am having the same problem as a number of others. I updated Cura and Marlin and with the correct software now have a 'Timeout' problem when trying to update the custom firmware needed to use my DIY heated bed upgrade. It uploads the default firmware just fine but I can't control the printer at all (or more precisely, I can use the Ulticontroller temporarily and then a switch clicks or noise changes after 1 second and I can't use the Ulticontroller any more).

Are there any fixes out there for the Arduino illiterate? Or if someone can walk me through a detailed process of what programs/files I need to download in order to fix the Arduino, I would give that a shot. Thanks in advance for your help!

-Daniel

hi

i have the same problem this morning, i find the easy solution, connect your printer just with the usb , dont turn on the printer, open cura, the machine must be ultmaker original, update the firmware and that it.