Ultimaker Original and Heated bed kit upgrade with dual extruders

macua85

Posted · Ultimaker Original and Heated bed kit upgrade with dual extruders

Hi Guys,

I've ordered the above, and its arriving tomorrow. I've just been reading through the heated bed kit instructions, and there is a part which tells you to loop the power from HBK pcb into the UMO power input with a loop cable. From what I have read, the HBK is 24v, and UMO 19v. So i'm guessing the HBK psu is 24v, and the HBK pcb steps down to 19v to feed the UMO.

So, with dual extruders, I believe the power requirement will be too great to install it this way. So for this setup, do you just leave the loop cable unused, and keep the original PSU for the UMO, and plug the new PSU into the HBK? Keeping the power for each effectively seperated?

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

I don't know the answer but I *do* know you need to use *both* power supplies somehow when you have dual extrusion. I assumed the supplies were connected together (after the 24V to 19V step down maybe?) but maybe you are right about the loop thing.

Hi Guys,

I've ordered the above, and its arriving tomorrow. I've just been reading through the heated bed kit instructions, and there is a part which tells you to loop the power from HBK pcb into the UMO power input with a loop cable. From what I have read, the HBK is 24v, and UMO 19v. So i'm guessing the HBK psu is 24v, and the HBK pcb steps down to 19v to feed the UMO.

So, with dual extruders, I believe the power requirement will be too great to install it this way. So for this setup, do you just leave the loop cable unused, and keep the original PSU for the UMO, and plug the new PSU into the HBK? Keeping the power for each effectively seperated?

Hope that makes sense.

Hi Macua85,

if you want to run a dual extrusion setup it is better to indeed use both power-supply's. The new HBK powersupply will be used over spec if you use both heaters and the bed all at once.

The hbk powersupply's are very well build so they might just make it. But i would NOT recommend it ;)

so you figured out the correct way to do it on your own! i hope you enjoy the HBK!

Hy Guys,

P L E A S E N O T I C E:

When using UM Original + Dual extrusion upgrade + heated bed upgrade kit (as I have installed now) you ***have to use*** both power supplies at once.

I was dealing with an immediate power off problem during a dual color print when using only the PSU shipped with the HBK. Heating up nozzles together with the bed works, but as soon as the stepper motors are being operated, all in a sudden, the power goes down.

Maybe this should be mentioned in the assembly guide of the HBK as well!

Hi,

I have an Ultimaker original and in a fit of excitement, ordered the heated bed upgrade AND the dual extruder upgrade.

I haven't installed either yet. Noting your comments above, I have a 24V 400W power supply. If I substituted that for the included supply, might I be able to get away with just the one?

Thanks,

Don

You will be fine. The newer supply can supply one extruder and the heated bed. Or both supplies without the heated bed. If you need all 3 heaters then you need to use both supplies always. You still have the "old" supply for your printer - just skip the connecting power cable as mentioned earlier (I think in this thread).

Absolutely correct, as described in the previous post from gr5!

On the other hand, a 400W / 24V power supply should be sufficient as well - although not tested.

I do not mind, using both power supplies at the same time als long as the printer doesn't stop operation.

For the moment, dual extrusion is still "experimental" and raises other problems like oozing of the 2nd nozzle, etc...

I am interested in printing solid + flexible material at the same time, as well as printing the support structure on PVA (water soluble).

From what I have seen so far, the HBK greatly improves warping.

By the way: the default Y offset of the 2nd nozzle is 21.6mm.

Currently I get better results using 22.0 mm

/Johann

Even if you did get a mega power supply which can power it all, i'm not certain the UMO electronics and HBK step down are rated for it are they?

As far as I understand from a logical point of view: the power-cut comes from the power supply, as it is over-rated (once the 2nd extruder stepper gets activated).

The UMO electr.board (19V) together with the HBK electronics (24V) *is* capable to handle a stronger power unit whatsoever... Remember: the heated bed is connected to the HBK electronics board and this extra board supports the UMO via an additional 19V cable.

Hi,

I've installed the heated bed upgrade kit and the dual extruder to an Ultimaker Original and had the same problem mentioned above where the printer powers off mid print when using the dual extruder and heated bed.

I've tried using the Ultimaker Originals power supply as well as the one from the heated bed kit but then the fan by the circuit board switches off, the printer doesn't work and the controller screen goes off completely when the usb cable is not connected. Is there something I need to change when using both power supplies.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Sorry, I've just discovered the problem, the Ultimaker Original power supply was faulty, I tried another one and it seems to be worked.

Thanks,

James