Advice for printing with Colorfabb XT

Nicolinux

Posted · Advice for printing with Colorfabb XT

Hi,

I'd like to ask for some advice for printing with Colorfabb XT (non transparent). I printed this object on an UM2

with the following settings:

• layer: 0.2
  • shell: 0.8
  • retraction: on
  • bottom/top: 1.2
  • infill: 50
  • speed: 50
  • combing: off
  • fan full on at height: 1.5
  • temperature: 245
  • bed temp: 70

These settings were suggested on learn.colorfabb.com:

However, the print looks really bad.

fanbase 01

fanbase 02

fanbase 03

fanbase 04

It is pretty stringy and blobby. Also there is underextrusion or at least it looks like it. Maybe there is a difference between transparent XT and the new one?

• Like 1

I didn't try the colored XT yet, but i think you get better results with no Fans, except that your settings look good to me.

If you get some under-extrusion at that temperature maybe you could go for 0.15mm layers instead of 0.2mm ?

And to reduce the stringing you can raise the travel speed to 200mm/s it works good for me (i think you can go up to 250mm/s but i didn't test this)

I printed XT red on my UMO and had to go to at least 250°C with 30mm/s. For 50mm/s I had to go to 260°C. It seems to me that this material likes it hot. And we all know that the Teflon piece doesn't... :sad:

I've set my UM2 to 250mm/s travel speed and it works perfect.

If I look closely at the picture it looks that the temp of 245 is too high.

All those blobs and (almost) drooping filament at the corners of the object.

My suggestion is to print at 240C on a UM2, with a fan speed of 50% and a layer height of 0.12 or 0.15mm.

If I look closely at the picture it looks that the temp of 245 is too high.

All those blobs and (almost) drooping filament at the corners of the object.

My suggestion is to print at 240C on a UM2, with a fan speed of 50% and a layer height of 0.12 or 0.15mm.

Hi Harold,

Good suggestions about the temperatures. In addition to lowering the temperatures you can also lower the speed slightly, usually 40mm/s for best quality prints and increase the retraction speed, this is standard at 25mm/s but can be increased to 45 mm/s.

When lowering the temperature, don't be afraid to go lower then 240C. We have one UM which is able to print at 225C, 0.2mm layer height at 40 mm/s, although this is probably a temperature error.

cheers,

Gijs

My last print with XT (clear) was at 235, no fan, enclosed with 0.08mm layer. The print was amasing and overhands up to 70 degrees printed well but it was having quite a few strings. I'll have to play with retraction.

The only problems I really have with XT is support removal. The seems to fuse with the print pretty badly and can be hard to remove without breaking like plexiglass...

Ok, next try. This time I printed with 100% infill and at 235°. Quality is much better but now the part warps and lifts :/

Any tips for that? I'd like to avoid blue tape...

Xt2

Xt1

EDIT: I used gluestick too

You may want to bump up your bed temp a bit further. And of course a nice big brim is always helpful.

XT sticks well with hairspray. I used AquaNet Professional Hairspray Extra Super Hold UPC: 67990-60011

In the humidity, my hair also stays in place ;-)

I print a lot with XT, always use kapton tape with a HB temp at 58 degrees.

Alright, thanks for the tips. I've got it. Didn't want to use brim (don't like it). I have increased the bed temp to 75° and set the fan to come on at 25mm. This time it stuck to the bed. The quality is ok, occasional underextrusion but I can live with it.

XT success 1

XT success 2

Hi Harold,

Good suggestions about the temperatures. In addition to lowering the temperatures you can also lower the speed slightly, usually 40mm/s for best quality prints and increase the retraction speed, this is standard at 25mm/s but can be increased to 45 mm/s.

When lowering the temperature, don't be afraid to go lower then 240C. We have one UM which is able to print at 225C, 0.2mm layer height at 40 mm/s, although this is probably a temperature error.

cheers,

Gijs

And how do I get maximum inter-layer adhesion? I'm trying to print something 4 shells thick (1.6mm) and get a very crispy result meaning it breaks all the time. I'm using XT red on my UMO.

Never had layer problems. Maybe you need to print hotter? I think I usually use 245-250.

However, that is with the uncolored stuff. The colored versions might have a different requirement.

I use 255°C and 30mm/s atm. I never had troubles with the uncolored XT.

Speaking of inter-layer adhesion. Take a look at this pic:

XT stability

The part is printed in white XT and snapped right in the middle with very moderate force aplied (was like the part you see in the background). Printed with 30% infill and infill overlap of 20%.

Nico. What temp/speed/layer did you use on this part?

And also, do you use the cooling fan, if possible, switch it off.

Regarding your original post, I think 0.2 mm x 50 mm/s should be attainable at 240 degrees on an UM2, going by some tensile testing I did on printed test bars.

Volumetric flow Vs tensile strengt W curvefittingh

flow By layer height And speed2

@UltiArjan: Printed it at 0.15 layer height, 40 speed and 240°

@hreedijk: I used the cooling fan but it came on late - at 25mm. On the second run I printed the object with 40% infill and with raft. Due to a bug in Cura, the fans come on instantly when using raft :/

@swanbennekom: Cool test. Which material does it apply to? XT only?

in the settings of your material, you can completely turn off fans. for XT, it is recommended to not use the fans..

Well usually print quality suffers greatly without a fan...

I put the fans at 50% in the material settings

Brim or Skirt with 0.05mm start distance

Bed at 80C and add 3DLac spray

Close the front opening

It doesn't lift from the bed anymore since I use 3DLac spray

Interesting... this 3D Lac spray. I'll try it. Thanks.

Works great with most stuff. Extra strong on PLA

Hmmm... I guess I need a 3D Lac spray for between the layers... :sad: