Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
LePaul

Smooth-On 3D Print Coating...anyone try this?

Randy in LA,

looking forward to your report, as well. Not only am I interested in the outcome, but your method for application, foam brush, bristle brush, applying while on a lathe or revolving display unit to help achieve uniformity, etc. I've even wondered about dipping finished prints, but don't want to experiment. :???:

It's good to hear +FB about the Smooth On product line. Do you like their mold release spray, too?

Just wondering, Didier Klein, here, 33 days later if you ever saw any feedback from your French Forum contact? Please advise. Thanks

Yes i have :) (not much but i have)

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/8775-traitement-poste-fab-avec-xtc-3d/

It's in french (obviously), if google translate isn't too bad you should manage to understand most of it.

Basically it gives a shiny look and makes the lines show less.

...It's good to hear +FB about the Smooth On product line. Do you like their mold release spray, too?

I had to go looking through my old supplies to find which mold release I used. I have a can of Mann's Ease Release 200 and Smooth-On's Universal Mold Release. I must have used the Smooth-On more because the can is absolutely empty! I use Oomoo 30 for molds and various plastics; Smooth-Cast 300, Smooth-Cast 305, Smooth-Cast 325, Smooth-Cast 385, Task-9 and a bunch of So-Strong color tints. I've never really been into modeling, but rather, used the products to reproduce lost or broken knobs/buttons from various recording studio gear.