Bad printing starting from 3-6 layer

pikata

Posted · Bad printing starting from 3-6 layer

Hello, i have a problem with my ultimaker 2, when i starting to print, doest'n matter which options i choose 100micrones or 200 micrones or 60 micrones, printer starting to print well, but after 3-6 layer it starting to build something rough and porous...

I tried different temperatures, 190-245, recallibrated platform, material is PLA. I Tried clean nozzle by atomic way, material is going well when i pushing it with hand,maybe something wrong with my feeder? 04f2fe3cd35c.jpg

Hi,

What's the brand of the filament? Is the diameter 2.85mm? If you have a caliper to measure it. 3mm and more filaments will cause underextrusion (that's what is happening).

Except that you seem to have tested everything else... What is the printing speed? (in mm./s)

Hi,

What's the brand of the filament? Is the diameter 2.85mm? If you have a caliper to measure it. 3mm and more filaments will cause underextrusion (that's what is happening).

Except that you seem to have tested everything else... What is the printing speed? (in mm./s)

Hi!, printing speed was from 10mm/s to 100mm/s which i was trying.... before that,everything was ok with the same fillament

Maybe you grinded the filament and it has now some difficulties to pass the bowden.

Change the filament and cut the piece that has passed the feeder (you'll see some pattern on it from the feeder wheel).

Re-insert again and tell us if it's still the case.

IF the first few layers on every model are fine then I agree with Didier. I suspect you are doing a lot of retraction and the drive wheel pressure on the filament is too tight and you are chewing up the filament

Hi !i opened feeder, cleaned it...get it in place, reinstalled fillament, here is the result! :-| any advice?

2f0e6c954b2f.jpg

Hi pikata,

What brand of filament are you using?

Is this a fresh nozzle, or have you printed other materials before this?

Have you tried cleaning the nozzle using the atomic method?

Here is my new print of cube, first 7-8 layers are good, others are all in holes...,and this happens whatever filament feed,tried different speed,different model,different layer size from 60 to 200 microns ,the filaments i use are from original website ultimaker store.Really ,now i dont know what to do with printer to make it print,cause i tried to reset feeder,tried to clean nozzle,attomic way , i used options "move filament", everything was going good, i reseted the level of platform for about 6 times :D i noticed 1 thing,when its going 7 layer, feeder making some noise,like going back and forward ,and after this all is ruined :D maybe motor is broken?

952167d08704.jpg

Set the first layer speed to 20mm/s and overall speed near 50mm/s.

lets first try common settings before trying to get to maximum speeds.

Does it always happen on the 3rd or 6th layer?

Regardless of the size of these layers?

Or does it start to under extrude after a certain amount of filament?

Try a temp of 220ºC with 50mm/s. It should work.

Around the 3rd and 6th layers the fans come on, have you made any modifications to the fans?

Can you see the temp drop when they turn on?

Did you make any changes to the tension spring on the feeder?

Thank you for your time,

my previous print was made on 50mm/s, first layer speed was 20mm/s, temperature i've tried were 210,220,230,240.

It happens between layer 3 and layer 10, i've noticed it after 20 prints. So,its not depends on size of layers, it could be 0.2 layers or 0.1 layers, the same problem appears between the layer 3 and layer 10, I've never made modifications to the fans .Tension spirng on feeder was changed from biggest to smallest . Temperature doesnt changing when temperature fan starting to work on 100%

Set the first layer speed to 20mm/s and overall speed near 50mm/s.

lets first try common settings before trying to get to maximum speeds.

Does it always happen on the 3rd or 6th layer?

Regardless of the size of these layers?

Or does it start to under extrude after a certain amount of filament?

Try a temp of 220ºC with 50mm/s. It should work.

Around the 3rd and 6th layers the fans come on, have you made any modifications to the fans?

Can you see the temp drop when they turn on?

Did you make any changes to the tension spring on the feeder?

Thank you for your time,

Try running a print with the fan at 0% all the time. Set the temperature to 200°C and speed to 40mm/s, layer height 0.1mm (first layer 0.3mm)

These are usually very safe values for PLA - at least all of my PLAs will print well like this.

Why 0% fan? It could be that the fan's PWM interferences with your temperature sensor (UM doesn't use shielded cables nor signal amplifiers for the sensors afaik). That would mean that your actual temperature is not what the electronics are reading from the sensor, and therefor actual nozzle temperature may drop (or rise) and cause underextrusion.

The fact that it always happens at certain layers makes this assumption more probable - because the fan speed is changed per layer, and only certain PWM percentages will cause problematic interferences with the temperature sensor.

But first things first - try it and see if it makes any difference. If not, nevermind.