Little printer crash while printing and using pause function

klausz

Posted · Little printer crash while printing and using pause function

I had 4 very similar bricks each with a length of 12cm, a height of 4cm and a width of 3cm. As the total print took around 20 hours and trying to reduce the risk I printed one piece after the other (also because of new material).

Looking from the front of the ultimaker 2 the pieces were behind each other. Latest after the 2nd print there was a need to tidy up the nozzle. Therefore I used the pause functionality.

Unfortunately when I did this, the printhead took the direct way and crashed against the 2nd piece that had just been finished.

It seems there is no option in Cura to define the sequence in which the parts are printed. Even when changing the position it seems the part in the front is printed first.

Wouldn't it be good to start the print from the back and move to the front ? Not only this would avoid the risk of a printhead crash. This would also allow the user to see the parts better. Or just to lift the printhead (bring the bed down).

When printing right now I only see the 1st part and the other parts, printed afterwards, will be hidden behind the 1st part. Further with this setup I will not be able to use the pause functionality.

As a poll, lets make a survey and ask how the printing sequence should be.

(Maybe there are also other reasons or there are solutions how this can be done already.)

a negative could be that the 2th part would print over the string of plastic layed down before the start of the first part (between the pile of plastic of the innitial extrusion before printing & the first part).

Yes the pause at z plugin doesn't take in account the previously printed parts.

It's a limitation that would require some work to resolve but is not impossible.

It should only be considered, if it can be done easy. Either starting from the back or being able to define the printing sequence.