Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jweaver

How accurate is CURAs estimate of filament length

I am going to test this myself, but I just wondered if anyone already had an opinion

When CURA says that a given print will use X meters of Filament, how accurate is it?

I have never actually measured myself and am pretty sure its accurate, but I want to find out, as I have loads of short lengths and I want to start using them up and being able to use a given length for a particular job would be really helpful.

Jon

I seem to remember someone else once posting on these forums that the number is not an estimate. Cura knows exactly how many steps of the feeder stepper motor that it's going to do, so underextrusion aside, the "estimate" should be spot on. So it isn't an estimate, it's an input!

I hoped thats what you might say.. In truth, the length and time should be spot on, as CURA knows exactly how far the bed has to travel, and how fast.. and how much material it has to put down.

So in theory it could be mm accurate.. I just asked incase anyone had done any real world tests and could advise that perhaps it looses accuracy when you do certain things..

I will do some tests tonight to see..

I seem to remember someone else once posting on these forums that the number is not an estimate. Cura knows exactly how many steps of the feeder stepper motor that it's going to do, so underextrusion aside, the "estimate" should be spot on. So it isn't an estimate, it's an input!

Hang on.. Stonehaven.. Scotland.. As in Call Of Duty: Ghosts.. Do you really live in Stonehaven? Is it a real place? Is there actually a castle there?? But I take it that there isn't a burning satellite crashed in the grounds? :)

If you don't know COD and have no idea what I am talking about, then just ignore me..

Jon

Yes, I really live in Stonehaven, Scotland, and it is a real place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehaven

I've heard of CoD, but I know nothing about it. I'm afraid I got bored with video games long ago.

I was the same and gave up playing games in my 20s.. But I got dragged back into playing games in later life.. And I am frankly too old to be doing this.

here is the Stonehaven "map":

Looking a the link you send, its clearly not related. Unless there IS a Castle somewhere nearby..

Jon

There are several castles nearby: e.g. Cowie Castle and Fetteresso Castle, but perhaps the most famous is Dunnottar Castle. There is no crashed satellite in the grounds (that I've heard about). :)

Apart from appearing in CoD, perhaps Stonehaven's bigger claim to fame is that life on dry land seems to have started there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumodesmus