Hello I am currently looking for a printer (could use your help)

half-alive

Posted · Hello I am currently looking for a printer (could use your help)

Hello. So currently i am looking for a printer such as the Ultimaker 2 and i am wondering if its a good purchase at this time. I know that technology evolves fast and i don't want to spend a whole ton of cash at something that will be outdated in the next few months. So may the ultimaker 2 be a good purchase at the moment or should i wait for technology to develop and look at printers later on? Or should i get the printer now? Thank you for any responses. oh and as well i do know the dual extruder is coming out in the year of 2015 and will that be something to pick up if i have bought my Ultimaker 2.

UM2 was just voted the best in the Make 3d printer shootout. So yeah! If you're in the market for an FDM printer it's a good bet.

You should decide first what your primary use for a 3D printer is. If you're making large props, phone cases and other things of that size, a UM2 is a good choice. It most likely won't be left behind for quite a while on those fronts.

If you're looking to make really small detailed objects like Jewlery or D&D figures, some of the newer SLA machines might be a better fit.

A lot of the development is happening in the material field and not so much on the printer themselves so you'll be able to benefit from those developments even if you get one now.

UM2 was just voted the best in the Make 3d printer shootout. So yeah! If you're in the market for an FDM printer it's a good bet.

You should decide first what your primary use for a 3D printer is. If you're making large props, phone cases and other things of that size, a UM2 is a good choice. It most likely won't be left behind for quite a while on those fronts.

If you're looking to make really small detailed objects like Jewlery or D&D figures, some of the newer SLA machines might be a better fit.

A lot of the development is happening in the material field and not so much on the printer themselves so you'll be able to benefit from those developments even if you get one now.

Might the Ultimaker 2 manage to print figures at moderate details of small size such as the D&D figures you described.

It can, but probably not as detailed as you'd like. The technology is much more suited to slightly larger things. But people do use it to make D&D, warhammer and model train environment pieces with it. It does walls, doors and rubble well enough.

What are you planning on using it for mainly?

I wouldn't be afraid of the UM2 getting outdated soon, as valcrow said it's one of the top FDM printers at the moment, and it's constantly improving :)

The R&D team is working on dual extrusion as you said, and i'm sure other exciting stuff are on their to do list too.

As Valcrow said, have a look at some SLA printers as well, like the Form1+ from Formlabs... You can order a free sample print from their website (just google something like " Form1+ order print sample"...

I was very impressed with the sample I received, and would pick a printer like that over an FDM model anytime for printing detailed models...

It's always the dilemma, buy now or wait for the next upgrade...or the next...or the next.

the UM2 is a solid machine and will go a long way, look at the "old" UM1, it recently had a major upgrade,

and I still see the UM1 as the better printer for the tinkerer :)

The Form1 looks like a nice printer indeed with good quality.

From what i've heard it has quite a big print failure rate (not trying to discredit form1)

Here's a little video i watched some time ago about it:

You can also get Ultimaker samples!

http://www.3dhubs.com/ultimaker

Just been looking at the new 3ntr A4v2 (http://3ntr.eu/?page_id=939), it has dual z-screws, water cooled extruders, optional direct feeder for flexible filament, dual extruder heaters providing a peak temp. of 415c and OMG a z plate sensor for distance measurement. Still only got dual extruders though.

Hello Yellowshark,

A4v2 can be fitted with the larger model (A2) extruder assembly, getting therefore 3 extruders.

Best Regards

Davide Ardizzoia

Just curious: What's the price for this A4v2 machine?

4K+ Euros.

It can, but probably not as detailed as you'd like. The technology is much more suited to slightly larger things. But people do use it to make D&D, warhammer and model train environment pieces with it. It does walls, doors and rubble well enough.

What are you planning on using it for mainly?

mainly larger objects as you have said, i just wanted to know the extent of its abilities