Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
pitmaster40

After three minutes of printing, UM2 material feeder get stuck

I have a new UM2, just two days and I haven't been able to print anything because when it is printing, after 5 minutes or less, the small nut on the stepper get stuck and emits a beep sound and moves left to right and right to left without moving the filament anymore and after this problem I have to abort the printing. :(

I don't know what to do??

Hi, welcome to the forum.

If i understand well, the feeder wheel is not firmly fixed? It sometimes happens that it gets detached somehow (probably because of transport).

This is a picture of the feeder motor

8RBtVHO.png

Try to fix the sleeve firmly. You might need to open the feeder.

For the feeder, unscrew three of the screws and let the fourth a bit screwed (the screws also maintain the motor in place), then try moving the top cover of the feeder, in order to access the sleeve screw easily.

You can also bend a hex wrench to reach it easier.

I'm not sure i understood your problem correctly tough maybe pictures would help?

Hmm, if you say that it's properly fixed then something else might be blocking the filament in the bowden tube...

Try unloading the filament (go to material and change) maybe help the filament to come out if it's stuck somehow.

if the filament looks grinded or has some irregularities in it then cut the filament that already went in the feeder. And reload it.

The filament you're using is from Ultimaker?

What are the printing settings you use? (temperature and speed)?

How hot is it in Colombia? Sometimes the feeder motor can get too hot and soften the filament to a point were it gets to big to travel in the bowden (PLA softens at 50°c)

300mm/s is way to fast!

Reduce to 50mm/s specially for that temperature

And yes, 300mm/s is probably too fast.

I don't know what you want to print you but you probably want to slow it down to 50/100mm/s.

The temperature must be in ratio with the speed.

so around

30mm/s-195º

50mm/s-210º

100mm/s-240º

How does yours differ from this one?

setscrew

You don't have to remove your feeder, but this was the best picture I could find that demonstrates how far out the screw usually is.

Because I checked some printers here in the office, and based on your original picture I couldn't tell if there was a big difference.

Therefor, could you upload a video that illustrates the problem?