Using a Microsoft Kinect to scan image for printing?

LePaul

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Using a Microsoft Kinect to scan image for printing?

i think if someone does a good job programming a software the kinect v2 sensor it should be possible to get good results down to a resolution of <1 cm but you still would need accuracy more like <1mm

What do you guys think about the Fuel 3d, any potential? Definitely keep us posted on the results you get UltiArjan.

Anyone have any scan examples for the David sls? The ones I've seen do not look much better than a kinect.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0180/7671/products/collected_scans_view_71ef0987-2f30-427b-9456-6209f9fe321d_grande.jpg?v=1400495790%20

For reference sake; Kinect has a accuracy of +-7 (!) mm. Structured light sensors tend to have about +- 0.1-0.2 mm accuracy.

The fuel 3D has potential; It uses a combination of 'Photometric stereo' (Lighting a object from different directions, see how intensity changes and use that to calculate the orientation of the surface (also known as the normal)) combined with 'standard' stereo feature matching.

here are some examples from the David and they are definitely better than the Kinect

2014 08 26 20.53.29

2014 08 26 15.42.51

2014 08 26 21.02.46

the accuracy turns relativ if you do an accumulation of pointclouds were you can rescan over and over until you got the resolution you need, but i dont' really know what the hardware/software limitations are for this task.. i still hope that just someone writes the perfect software..

A david scanner costs like 500$? and you'll need a projector thats another 500$ while the kinect V2 sensor is 150$ and u will be able to use it as kinect as well..

This is only theoretically the case. For all practical intents and purposes you will not be able to do this (usually due to processing / memory /time issues).

The david linescanner is 2200 euro all inclusive.

ok well so no (low cost) hope until we got quantum computers? haha

maybe in combination with an acceleration sensor or positioning system or just super cool tricked code that doesn't need all builded memory to accumulate the precision?

close to were i live is a company that creates those hq laser scanners for crimescene scan that stuff i very expensive i can imagine

can't we create a laser scanner system like that diy low cost ? or an ultrasonic 3d scan device? (just kidding)

This is a great discussion!

I'm learning alot...keep it rolling :)

I was curious if anyone used a MakerBot Digitizer?

As that's been out a while, I have been searching to see what others have made that are cheaper and better (plus I am no fan of Bre/Makerbot)

i just can't loose the feeling that this will go furter with this methode :D

it should be allready, the video is neraly 2 years old tough

i just can't loose the feeling that this will go furter with this methode :D

Yeah I saw this a week ago...which initially gave me hope!

Jerry, "Barnacles", reviewed the Nextengine scanner and didn't seem overly impressed:

Ha ha. The head scan is impossible. At least thats just 1 to 3 "fotos" with the fuel 3d.

I have not seen the digitzer in action, just check on thingiverse the scans that are posted it will give you an idea... from what i've seen it's not worth the price

The digitizer sucks. I've not seen any scan that I would consider okay. You get about the same results from a kinect, but way slower.

The next engine is kinda slow, mostly because of the line lasers, which simply take tons of time.

Hmm, so that's out....we're weeding through them!

123D Catch from Autodesk is worth trying. Its free and utilizes captured images that you take with a digital camera or phone and upload it to the cloud, where it is processed and sent back as a 3d mesh. You probably need 40-50 pictures all around the object to get a good image. I tried it with about 20 pictures and it didn't turn out great, but I saw potential for it to be better had I taken more pictures.

I can't get 123D to work for me I sign in with the account I created and it just sits there. And Autodesk doesn't have anything listed for support on this, so I'm struggling to find a way to fix the account

And after spending an hour on it....I'm done with it :)

Same here. Tried it. Never got it to work. Gave up after an hour or so.

Okay it wasn't just me

So what next!

What device did you download it on? I have it on my phone and it worked relatively smoothly, I think my issues was operator error in not taking enough pictures.

I know this thread has not been active for a long time, but anyway. Have anyone here a kinect 2 windows, and dona aa scan with it?

How good resolution was it? in microns?