Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

UMO + heated bed Z axis clicking

edit-mesh

Posted · UMO + heated bed Z axis clicking

Hello i am a new ultimaker user :) !

After the heated bed installation i noticed some z-motor clicking and i also get some thicker layers with the spiralize function of cura (14.09) every ~10 mm.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29640097/20141119_083708.mp4

the z axis runs "almost" smoothly ( well, pulling the heated bed up from the bottom while steppers are disabled needs more force, but i can push it slightly downwards with no problems).

can you give me an advice what to check and how ? z- motor overheating? is there an easy way to calibrate the z- rod once again?

well, after trying to learn some french and reading what didier klein wrote today , i installed cura 14.11R7.

and what can i say?!

the thicker spiral layers are gone !!! is it a bugfix? anyway i am happy, but still have the clicking sound from the z-motor...

z-axis noise

please tell me anyone if this is normal sound while spirilizing, or that i don't have to worry about that.

thank you very much in advance!

cheers imke

I wasn't able to download or play the video. Can you post it to youtube instead? And then link to it?

The Z axis is the noisiest axis. I suspect each click is a step by the Z motor. With "spiralize" turned on you get lots of clicks per layer. Spiralize is a very special case and is only used for cups and vases basically. It's even more specific than that - the object must be solid (like a cube) but then is printed with no top and no infill. It also adds extra material where the base meets the walls to keep it water tight and a few other unusual features.

Instead of learning french, google translate is very good. Not perfect but good enough.

gr5 thx !!! yes of course, here it is (sorry big file) :

"spiralize" works perfect for that solid object!!!

------

living in switzerland i've got the approach to reanimate my lost french knowledge somewhen ;-)...so be prepared to read some weird comments in french from me in the future...but to be serious-thank you very much for google translate hint !!!

That's completely normal for spiralize mode. The Z axis is quite loud compared to the other 3 steppers. Because it moves such tiny amounts (it takes maybe a minute to move one layer) they come out as individual clicks.

phhh... thx alot gr5 !!!

Gee i'm giving hints on problems without even knowing it :cool: :cool:

Happy printing edit_mesh and come to the french part when you want it's a nice place too :)

Archived