Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jweaver

Where is CURAs "skin" feature?

I assumed I pretty much understood CURA and all its features (Although I still admit not to fully understand "combing")

Last night I started printing this:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/christmas-pudding-tree-decoration

And generally don't read instructions on how to print it, as I usually have no problem.. But because the assembly was tricky, I read the comments and was intreagued to read this:

"The pudding part takes about an hour in normal quality, although I tend to use Cura's "skin" option to make it look it's higher quality."

What is this 'skin' feature that he talks about? Anyone know?

Jno

It was mostly useless and the feature was removed. Although many complained - the small minority who used it were quite vocal. This feature exists in a few other slicers.

What it does is make 2 passes on the outermost skin at 2 different heights. So for example if you sliced .2mm and enabled "skin" then it would do all the inside (including most of the shell) at .2mm and then do 2 passes around the outside .1mm thick each. But they were *identical* paths so you didn't gain any resolution - just made the "horizontal layer" lines harder to see.